Skype Interview w/ Teaching Demo

gr8teach

Skype Interview w/ Teaching Demo

Post by gr8teach »

I just received an email from a school in Japan about a Skype interview and teaching demo. Does this sound odd to you? I have had loads of Skype interviews in the past, but only one in Japan-- I know little about this school except it is pretty new, small and PYP in Okinawa. (OIS)
The email just assigned a time, and told me to prepare a lesson and email it in advance and be prepared to teach it via Skype.
My question is: Do you think its worth the trouble? Is this actually common practice? Maybe its a Japanese thing?
wannateach

Post by wannateach »

My current school had me do the same thing and I was also a little put off at first. It wasn't a big deal though. They emailed me some scanned pages from a book and I emailed them back a lesson plan. Then after our interview I walked them through how I would give the lesson.

Might be an Asian thing. My school is in China.
PsyGuy

At times

Post by PsyGuy »

I've heard of teaching demos for schools in Japan, and several other countries as well. Its usually requested of new teachers or teachers with minimal experience. If its a good school appointment it might be worth doing. Usually a school doesnt request the demo unless they are serious about a candidate.

Whether its "worth it" to you is something you have to decide for yourself.
Android

Post by Android »

International schools in Japan tend to ask for a school demo. However, these are international schools that have a strong Japanese administrative staff who go by the book etc ( and showing a lesson, in their eyes, is part of being a teacher bc after all, aren't they hiring you to teach? ). Hopefully, you do get the job. Okinawa is a good destination / location for most. It's very " un-Japanese " and it's an entity on its own. It's beautiful ( as long as you stay in the beaches unspoiled by the American military and Naha, the capital ).
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

I think the school is in Naha. Not much information on the internet about it. Anyone know anything about OIS?