The End of the Interviews

gr8teach

The End of the Interviews

Post by gr8teach »

So you've wrapped up an interview. Things seem to have gone well. The recruiter has responded well to all you've told them about you. Then the recruit asks "Do you have any questions for us?"

What are your hot button questions? Is there one question people think is a must? One maybe that will help you land the job? What are your interview suggestions? (Maybe you want to keep your secrets lol)
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Where did you get those shoes?

Just kidding of course!
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

That might go over oddly in a Skype interview lol
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I made a point of asking about OPPORTUNITIES for professional development or extracurricular activities. I think it makes you sound positive and a team player.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="heyteach"]I made a point of asking about OPPORTUNITIES for professional development or extracurricular activities. I think it makes you sound positive and a team player.[/quote]

Those are good. I also like to ask about the timeframe for making a decision (which can sometimes give you an idea about where you stand, if you read between the lines).
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Try to build mutual excitement. You are interviewing a school just as much as they are interviewing you.

-Use it as a chance to show that you have done research on the school or the specific department, and that you are truly interested. "It seems that your school has a great reputation for ____, if that's so can you tell me more about _____ (name a specific thing you are interested in)."

-Ask about coaching or assistant coaching opportunities.

-What area of institutional change or growth is he/she most excited about?
hallier

Post by hallier »

I sometimes think that is the hardest part of the interview. You've got through all the questions and suddenly they want you to start asking them.

The biggest trap is to ask a question which can obviously be gleaned from their website. I've done that one before:(

I think you went down the right path, asking about PD.

I avoid asking too much about benefits until I get the offer.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Hey Ichiro, as I apply to schools I'm doing a ton of research on the school, city, country, etc. I'd love to go ahead and talk to people at these schools now however thought I'd wait at least until I'm offered an interview or maybe even gotten an offer before trying to email staff at the school to ask detailed questions. I don't know if staff members get deluged with this kind of thing and I don't want to inappropriately add to that. I think it's justifiable if I'm interviewing or getting an offer. However is it crossing the line to do it prior to that?
PsyGuy

You can try, but I wouldnt

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt do it until I had an offer. I dont think its "crossing the line", but I think you would most likely get ignored if there wasn't a heads up from admin that you were coming on board. Most teachers have a lot to do, and in my experience once you start answering questions and corresponding with someone it just involves more and more time. Its one thing if theyre a new teacher, its another if there just prospects fishing for info.

Lastly, you risk the possibility of appearing like your looking for an inside edge, and some schools have developed policies regarding that type of communication.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

I contacted several teachers at my current school before interviewing (although, I was pretty sure I was going to get an interview). Some ignored me, some replied. Some I had multiple emails from and the conversation went on long after I got hired.

I would take this route again, but obviously, when I started emailing, my questions were somewhat generic, until I got a feel for the person and whether they were going to open up.