New Search???

PsyGuy

New Search???

Post by PsyGuy »

So whos seen the new Search Associates site (be sure to update your application)?

Updating my application wasnt hard, except some of the values didnt "stick" after clicking save. Other then that it wasnt hard. I liked the option to upload an actual resume/CV.

As for the rest of the site. I like the facebook approach I suppose. The major improvements I liked were:

1) Ability to email my associate (not that they do anything) from the site directly.

2) The Alerts, box on the Dashboard is new and nice, and i like the "position matches" box though i doubt id ever really use it.

3) Love the expanded search functions with more options that will actually add utility FOR ME, including: 1) Search by position start date. 2) Region (not just country). 3) Teaching Level.
I imagine some candidates will appreciate the 1) Local Opportunities For Non Teaching Spouses. 2) Age Limit Option.

4) The BEST change (for me at least) is the option to save schools to a favorite list and then go back to that list and just search those schools regardless of where they are. Makes job searches at the "american" schools or just the elite schools a lot easier and more convenient.

5) The enhanced search results show school and the positions available at a glance, which is helpful with very broad searches. I like being able to just click back and forth from the school profile to the search results page, as opposed to the old drop down menu (OK minor improvement, but it appeals to my way of browsing).

6) The individual school profile pages seems too scattered, too much white space and scrolling in my opinion. i like to read straight down a column. The addition of the schools self reported tax, I think, is under reported. I DONT LIKE having to click at the bottom of the profile on each vacancy position to expand it.

So what about everyone else, any opinions, impressions on the make over?
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I just got some sort of auto-response email from my associate about this. Does anyone know if they require ALL users, past and present, to update info, even if we are not 'active' candidates this season? (I won't be actively looking for at least another year, though I probably will use Search again when the time comes).
psychris

Post by psychris »

I also like the "favorite schools" feature, as well as the more streamlined "job openings" section (I hated the grid they used to have). I noticed a lot of the schools no longer have annual savings estimates for single teachers listed on the new site, which I hope is remedied in the near future. Moreover, the dates to announce intentions for the following year have gotten all messed up. I like the "position matches" section of the dashboard, but I wish you could sort them by date added or region.

The CV upload addition is nice, but you can only upload PDFs; mine's a Word document.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="psychris"]The CV upload addition is nice, but you can only upload PDFs; mine's a Word document.[/quote]

Can't you just convert it.. (http://www.zamzar.com/)?
psychris

Post by psychris »

Probably...
jessd82

Post by jessd82 »

If you download Open Office (free) you can convert to PDF too :)
PsyGuy

Retrospect

Post by PsyGuy »

All clients need to update their profile. There is a window of time where you will remain active even if you havent updated, but eventually they will deactivate your profile if you dont update. If your OK with that and dont really use Seacrh at the moment there isnt a rush or need to update your profile.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
psychris

Post by psychris »

Thanks, ichiro. I just did it and it took two seconds.

Apparently, I suck at using computers.
sonicjimi

Post by sonicjimi »

for some reason, since the site update, I'm no longer receiving my daily updates on job posting activities in the last 24 hours. I emailed them and they are working on it. Anyone else have the same issue?

Jim
PsyGuy

Me either

Post by PsyGuy »

I haven't gotten any email updates either.
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

I haven't been receiving any email updates either. I found them really useful as I could check them on my phone on my commute. I hope I get them again soon.
I'm not sure if I am missing something here but on the old site each school could tick if they were planning on attending any fairs. I can't seem to see that on the new site? I know you can search schools by fair but this is not up to date any way as, according to Search's London Fair facebook page, there are something like 123 schools confirmed but only 40 something come up when you search on their website.
Also, if I am already looking at a schools page I want to see there and then if they are planning on attending the fair, not go back and search again.
If I am just not seeing something here then please let me know!

Anyway, I like the layout a lot better. It's a shame I had to re-enter details several times before it saved though.
Agree about being able to email the associates but they don't do anything anyway! Wish I had one who was more helpful!
PsyGuy

Email Updates

Post by PsyGuy »

The daily update on search began again today. LOVE the new organization, and layout. Th old ones just read like a string of text, the new ones are MUCH more orderly and organized.
sonicjimi

Post by sonicjimi »

I agree. Much better
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

I also agree.The emails are much clearer. The site is so much better now. I was actually surprised when I first joined Search at how 'messy' it all seemed. I like all the improvements other than the thing I mentioned above about not showing on the page if schools are attending a fair or not.