Counselors and IB schools?

SimpleTwistofFate

Counselors and IB schools?

Post by SimpleTwistofFate »

I know that many of the top int'l schools are looking for people with IB experience. I am a counselor and am curious how that relates to counseling positions. Obviously, counseling is different than teaching and there is no "IB counselor certification". I have not worked at an IB school. but have 5 yrs experience at a top int'l school where I learned a lot about the IB system in relation to my job. Anyone have some insight on this?

Thanks!
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I can't think of how a counselor could have IB experience other than an understanding of the curriculum demands, how IB diplomas are awarded, difference between standard level vs higher level classes, how different universities/university systems consider the IB diploma/exam results for admission and credit, etc. None of this is challenging to learn. I had a pretty good understanding of this from working in university admissions evaluating transcripts even before working in counseling on the high school side.

Additionally, none of my friends who are counselors within international schools have mentioned having difficulty getting jobs at IB schools who hadn't worked at IB schools in the past. Has this come up or are you just looking at the general information they are posting for all job applicants?
kfssbjj

IB Counseling

Post by kfssbjj »

IB has nothing to do with Counseling as far as I am concerned. That is more of a teaching issue. Though there are some admins who will require IB counselors.....whatever that is. My job is to do crisis counseling and academic advisement for students trying to get into US college. I have no idea what IB. However my track record at getting students into US colleges is 100% over the last 2 years. How did that happen? IB.....for teachers only.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Depends on how the school defines "counselor". I am a school counselor at an international school - but my primary job is to deal with social/emotional/behavioral issues. One of our DP teachers deals w/ the college counseling side.

As for the IB experience - I found it to be a bit tricky. Mind you, this was my first time applying overseas, but I learned really quickly that schools have different interpretations of the counselors' role and expectations of our experience. One school told me that they couldn't take my app because I have a Master's in Social Work degree and not an MS. Ed Counseling degree. Other schools felt my MSW was fine - especially since I'm a state licensed social worker w/ experience working w/ kids in schools.

Fortunately, I landed a good job at a good IB school - it was outside of the Search fair, but still thru the Search database and the fair prepared me a lot in terms of how I present myself, resumes, etc.