Bangkok quality of life?

SimpleTwistofFate

Bangkok quality of life?

Post by SimpleTwistofFate »

I am considering applying for a job at NIST in Bangkok. I have a wife and infant and am looking for people's experience there as far as safety, health, housing, etc.

we have only lived in the U.S. and Western Europe. We are up for some adventure, and I know nowhere is perfectly safe, but is Bangkok a city you would feel comfortable bringing your family?

Insights into other Asian locations also welcome.

Thanks in advance!
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
natalielenina

Post by natalielenina »

Would you consider NIST easy to get a job at or is it just easier compared to ISB?
Android

Post by Android »

No, Ichiro is just an ISB lover because he works there. For a few years now, he has been on here singing ISB's praises.
Danda

Post by Danda »

Anyone that doesn't think ISB is the greatest school on earth is just jealous and probably couldn't even get an interview with the school. At least that's what Ichiro tells me

Haters be hatin'

For the record, I do think that ISB is a great school and would love to work there in the future
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobStrauss

Post by BobStrauss »

How does NIST compre to ISB in terms of workload? Anyone know?
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

NIST is considered a top tier school in Thailand. No top tier school in Thailand is going to be easy to get a job with, it's just too competitive.

Bangkok is a safe city and the travel opportunities are second to none. Only thing I would add to what has already been said is that the area where NIST is located is not a place where I would ever live. It's a pretty nasty tourist ghetto with all the hassles that come along with that, not to mention one of the most polluted and congested areas in the city. With that said, it would be fairly easy to live somewhere else and commute on the subway/skytrain to work (there are 2 skytrain and 1 subway stops within walking distance).
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Ichiro, does ISB do IB, or is it strictly an American type curriculum? Do they favor IB experience when hiring, or does it even matter?

I know that NIST is an IB school at all levels.
doubtful

trailing spouse

Post by doubtful »

Ichiro, you stated "trailing spouse types have to move on." Could you give me more information about that?

I am one of those poor souls with a non-teaching spouse (He is actually a history teacher, but not K-12 and not certified) and ISB is one of the schools at the top of my list (along with 2999+ other hopeful teachers, I suppose...)
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I think Ichiro may be referring to teachers who are in Thailand with a significant other who has the job that brought them to Thailand in the first place and may ultimately move them out of Thailand.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="ichiro"] Just depends on the situation and how good you are! And without a doubt, ISB and Thailand affords a place for families with one "bread winner" to support a spouse and a couple of kids. And I also need to plug how gay friendly ISB is. They offer full spousal benefits to partners, "legally" married or not. (And it's all the more awesome because despite the widely accepted sexuality of all sorts in Thailand, same-sex mariage is not officially recognized. And I'd like to hear from somebody in the know if NIST or Patana offer the same...)

[/quote]

Ichiro. I hope that the flooding has not been too harsh on you. Can you tell us how the flooding is impacting ISB and its teachers? We are considering applying to schools in Bangkok for next year and would love to hear some first hand details of how this problem is being handled (and affecting life in Bangkok). Thanks!
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.