GMU fast train

wannateach

GMU fast train

Post by wannateach »

Hello. I was wondering if anyone here has done GMU's fast train program to get certified. Is it generally a respected program and worth the time/money?

I'm interested in getting certified in elementary education. I've taught English as a subject teacher in Egypt for two years and I'm now teaching 3rd grade in China (English, science, social studies). By the end of this year I'll have saved just enough money to complete fast train. Will the extra money I could make as a certified teacher be worth it?

I've been considering doing this for a couple of years now so any advice from real teachers would help a lot. Thanks.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
cricket

Post by cricket »

I did the FAST Train program and it's legit - It's part of George Mason Univ. in Virginia. You take the courses and get your teaching license in VA. It's definitely worth it to have a 'real' teaching credential and then as Ichiro said, you put in your two years somewhere and go from there.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

I really don't think anyone in international schools cares a great deal about where you get your Masters. It's all about how well you teach and the exp you already have--and you sound like you have a fair amount.

I got my Masters from an Ivy League English Education program but my coursework was little more than insulting fluff and a cash cow for the university. A massive waste of 12 months if you asked me, but it got me into teaching at a respectable salary level.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Unless your getting your degree from an ivy league school, and are applying at a "Prestige" school OR your brand new to teaching, after a couple of years where you got your degree isnt very important. (Exception: If your a new admin, and just got your Masters/Doctorate, where you got your degree will be more influential as well).

The problem with the previous response is that hiring recruiters dont know how well you teach. There are bad teachers out there with lots of experience, that look good on paper, but are just toxic in the classroom. So outside the interview (and in deciding who to interview) recruiters like to stick to a traditional formula of: Education, Experience, Certifications.

Heres the situation for a head, at the end of a job search youve gone through hundreds (if not thousands) of applications, and as you narrow down the pile some incredibly minor differences begin to become deciding factors. In this job search were finishing, the difference between one final candidate who made it and the one who didnt came down to where they studied, one was from a university in England, the other was trained at an American university. At the end of the day you have a a small pool of candidates that are so similar, that the decision making process focuses on minutia.