Leaving college student

msteachkids

Leaving college student

Post by msteachkids »

I have accepted my first international teaching position and will be leaving at the end of July for Asia. I am so excited but also a little worried because I'll be leaving my 19 year old son in the states to finish his college education.

Any suggestions or tips from parents who have been separated from their college age child?
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

As someone who had their teacher parents spend 4 years in Saudi while I was at college- don't worry. You'll be instilling self-sufficiency, and individual attitude, and they'll grow up quicker.

I was always amazed at my friends who brought laundry home, couldn't manage a bank account and were seemingly helpless.

Give you kid the opportunity to come overseas and join you when they can. Encourage them to travel and share in your experiences.

It was tough when I said goodbye in August, knowing I wouldn't see them until June- but I ended up doing so much more than my friends. With all the technology and communication tools, you'll be in touch.
Tundra_Creature

Post by Tundra_Creature »

I agree with JIS. :) As a student, though I was the other way around. I had move to study, leaving my educator mom back in my hometown. As long as you keep in contact with him, he'll be fine.
msteachkids

Post by msteachkids »

Thanks, guys. You just made my heart happy to hear that you were fine. :-)
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

I understand your concern. We left a few years ago to take jobs, when our youngest was 18 and just starting college. I was really nervous about it. It's worked out great. She is more independent, has gotten jobs by herself, knows where to get the car fixed, found her own apartment, applied for her own student loan and the list goes on. We also electronically linked our bank accounts, one way-I can access hers, but she cannot access mine! We use skype and magic jack all the time, bring our kids over on xmas vacation and see them a lot during the summer.
bulegila

Post by bulegila »

My family all moved to America when I was at university. I survived and I often spoke to my parents on the phone.

Even if they had remained in the UK I wouldn't have been seeing them that often as I my University was at the other end of the country.

Also I really enjoyed escaping the cold of the UK while all of my friends went back to where they grew up. I loved going to Texas and going on road trips during my holidays. This wouldn't have happened if they were still living in the UK.