Tieonline Teaching Jobs

musings28

Tieonline Teaching Jobs

Post by musings28 »

How is the TIE service?

Registering with Search is 225$ Canadian (gives you access to one Fair, and 3 year membership and help from an associate), with TIE it's only 39$ and apparently gives you access to loads of schools as well, you can upload your CV, etc.

Any successful TIE stories out there? Is this service just as good or worse than ISS or Search?

Thanks!
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

I had a couple of bites from schools I probably wouldn't work in earlier this year. I also had interest from a fairly decent school in Southeast Asia. It didn't work out, but the principal said he would be interested in receiving my resume the next time I'm looking. I have no post-grad experience, other than substitute work, so I was quite happy with the response.

I liked the fact that I could attach a video to my TIE resume and also link it to my teaching website. It gave me a bit of room to be creative.

I've never used Search, but once my first contract is done (starting in August), I'll probably sign up for Search and renew my subscription to TIE as well. I think it's worth the money.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

Thanks for the answer, Mark.

I'm signing up with SEARCH, but wouldn't mind trying TIE on the side either, as it's only 40 bucks.
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

I found that when used TIE, I got no replies from schools. I then signed up for Search and many of the same schools that had previously ignored me were suddenly interested in me. So for me, using Search was worth it.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I would use both. I sent out a lot of resumes through TIE and did have a few telephone and Skype interviews. I would recommend Search. The database is way more extensive, you get more valuable information on the schools and you can attend a fair for the registration cost.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

Hmmm...good to know! Feeling good about SEARCH...
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I used Search for the first time this past recruiting season and was happy with the service. The information on the database was very thorough; with it I prepared a spreadsheet so I could easily compare schools and packages. My representative answered emails within hours, despite being on the other side of the world, and gave me plenty of encouragement when things seemed bleak.

I just signed a contract last week for a position and country I'm quite excited about.
mantissa

Post by mantissa »

My advice - definitely do the Search and Joyjobs (instead of TIE). They have all the TIE listing + a bunch more. Search is definitely worth for the database!!!!
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

SEARCH provides a good service, although just be warned that most of the schools registered with SEARCH want IB trained teachers. I'm not IB trained but still had a few interviews with schools registered both in and out of the job fairs. But I didn't get hired.

TIE online is good for the price. I think I had 2 interviews with schools there. Didn't get hired, though.

What I finally did was look at ibo.org and looked up all the schools that had IB. I then went to the schools' websites directly and applied for openings. And that's how I got hired - by doing everything myself.

These agencies can help you but you are not guaranteed a job. If you are IB trained and have experience teaching IB, then SEARCH is your best bet.
mrwright

Post by mrwright »

Sounds like Search is a bad idea for new international teachers. What strategy is best for teachers without IB experience?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="mrwright"]Sounds like Search is a bad idea for new international teachers. What strategy is best for teachers without IB experience?[/quote]

I don't know that I agree with this. My first overseas job was with only two years experience (none of it IB) and it was through an SA job fair.

I also don't know if I agree that most schools registered with SA are looking for IB trained teachers. I don't know that it is NOT true, but would love to see what the actual number/percentages are of IB schools.
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

I have to agree with wrldtrvlr123. I got my first job with Search, at a non-IB school, having only two years of teaching experience. Search may have a lot of IB positions open, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's not good for non-IB/new teachers.
stockingblue

Post by stockingblue »

I used the TIE website as I didn't have the 200+ to spend on Search. I was contacted by a few not so great schools through TIE but I ended up getting a job offer from a decent school who used the TIE website to find me. I'll start in August so I've yet to see if it was money well spent :)
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

TIE is pretty good. I have had amazing offers from a lot of decent schools who advertise on TIE. I think that this is also the place that schools tend to go to for last minute hires. Most people think that only the bad schools hire at the very last minute but around three years ago, I was offered an amazing opportunity in Europe through TIE right around July. I think that for the most part, most people get their contacts / jobs through TIE and direct e-mail anyway. If you have an impressive enough CV, believe me, heads would take note and take the time to interview you now that SKYPE exists in our reality.

Another interesting note : I've had two offers from IB schools through TIE. So, Search shouldn't be the only option for IB schools. Like I mentioned before, TIE has decent jobs from top tier, 2nd tier and 3rd tier schools.

Ultimately, whether you go on TIE or Search or any other job fair, it's how you present yourself, your impressive CV and experiences that get the Head's attention. I am a relatively " new " teacher in the international sphere ( 4 - 8 years experience ) but I have had many offers this year and two just came in this week ( all from TIE ).