tattoos

mrwright

tattoos

Post by mrwright »

I have a question. I am a fairly straight laced looking guy in general, as far as my face, hair and build go. But I have a fair amount of tattoos. Will this pose a big problem for me teaching at an international school? They are high quality and colorful, not gang/prison looking junk tattoos. My left are is covered solid from shoulder to elbow, and my right arm is covered solid from shoulder to about 2 inches below the elbow. Nothing inappropriate or off-putting in the designs. I know this will probably rule out any super conservative Christian schools, but I don't think I would fit in there regardless. I teach secondary History and Science. As many of you know, in America at this point tattoos are not that big of a deal. Becoming a part of main-stream culture. I obviously can cover them with a long-sleeve shirt, but since my main geographic area of interest is Asia, I figure the heat could pose some problems. I don't mind covering them during school hours, but is it something I am going to need to hide as a dirty secret? Is it something that if someone from the school saw me out and about and the admin found out that I would get fired or not have a contract renewed? Appreciate any thoughts, experiences or input anyone can offer. Thanks.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I worked with a guy who was covered from shoulder to arm. Played in a ska-puck band in the 90's. GREAT teacher and it hasn't slowed him down. I have a couple tats on the shoulders.. had to cover them up in the hot baths of Japan 20 years ago!!

Keep em covered during the interviews... once you get the job, let em fly!
mrwright

Post by mrwright »

Thanks. I kinda thought that might be the case, at least at some schools. Does anyone else have any experiences that back this up or contradict it? I would appreciate as much input as I can get. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Felipe

Post by Felipe »

I have worked in Asia, South America, and the Caribbean. I have tattoos as well and always keep them covered at work and usually when out on my own time. The thing to remember is that although you will be working with mostly North Americans, you will have students from the country that you are working in who's parents are generally more conservative and might have cultural ideas about people with tattoos. I would with the idea that I would be covering my tattoos and then once I am there see how it is.
teacherlady

Post by teacherlady »

Keep the tattoos [b]well [/b]covered for a while when at school until you get a feel for the school. I am working at an international school where a teacher has gotten a bit of trouble from parents over a number of things...but it all started b/c they didn't like the look of the tattoos.

Appearances are important, so I would let your teaching make the first impression not your tattoos.
mrwright

Post by mrwright »

Does anyone think that some countries or cultures would be more tolerant of tattoos than others?
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I was just telling a friend yesterday that I had been very disturbed that one of my children's previous teachers was so tatted up. I have a tattoo as well, but a small one that can be covered at all times. I thought that it showed a lack of good judgement on her part and made me look at her teaching more carefully. She turned out to be a great teacher, but it's just a warning. Even if people don't say anything, it may be something that is held against you.
mrwright

Post by mrwright »

Thanks for the input everyone. I was kinda afraid most of you would say that. So, is it diffcult to wear long sleeve shirts all the time? I assume most schools are airconditioned. Would I look wierd being in a humid climate always wearing a long-sleeve? I appreciate the advice. Thx.
maxul

Don't need to remove tattoo!

Post by maxul »

I can understand that tattoos can create problem working in professional environment. But fortunately you have tattoos on those areas those can be covered easily. You should wear a full sleeve shirt and you can conceal your tattoo easily.

Maxul
http://www.gettattoosideas.com
Last edited by maxul on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
smis10

Tattoos

Post by smis10 »

As an administrator I would advise against tattoos and visible piercings in the conservative world of education, schools and classrooms. Recruitment companies would advise against against this also. It is very important to remember that international education is private and has accordingly such standards. Most people with tattoos in the profession have the common sense to have them in discrete places and that they are not seen. I currently have several staff with tattoos, but they are never on display. Personal opinions must be weighed with professionalism, standards and a business like image. As a benchmark guide, consider what is acceptable in an office, where people wear suits. Like it or not, unfortunately everything is image. Personally, I don't have any tattoos, but I don't have a problem with them either.
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

[quote="mrwright"]Does anyone think that some countries or cultures would be more tolerant of tattoos than others?[/quote]

Asian countries ( most specifically China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea ) are wary of tattoos. I know that in Japan, it doesn't matter if you are a foreigner, but you will get kicked out of public places ( baths, gyms and such ) if your tattoo is exposed. Most tattoos in Asian countries are considered with criminal gang affiliations.
mrwright

Post by mrwright »

I understand that i have to cover them up at school, but does anyone think that just the knowledge of them could get me fired? I mean, do I have to cover them up on my time off?