Dubai International Academy

durianfan

Dubai International Academy

Post by durianfan »

I've had 2 interviews with them and the school looks like it's a really good place. Excellent package - high salary and loads of perks with zero tax. Teaching DP & MYP and they provide training. Looks like a really good deal if I can just get past the fact that I'd be spending the next few years (at least) in the desert.

I've been reading loads of stuff on Dubai and have mixed feelings. The racism, the heat, attitude of the locals, all the rules and regulations. Does anyone know anything about the school (ISR has mixed reviews and the last one was over 3 yrs ago), and perhaps living in Dubai? I'd be bringing the Thai wife along and she would probably be able to get work (her degree is in tourism with airline, hotel, and banking emphasis). But what we're mostly concerned with is the day to day stuff. Someone even told me that they view Asians as slaves (although this might be an exaggeration). Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Neptune

totally different view

Post by Neptune »

Hi there,
I've not heard bad things about UAE. There are rules and regs as everywhere. It is expat friendly and an entertaining city to live in. Know many people who have lived there and really like the lifestyle. I guess it depends if you are half empty or half full adn what kind of post you are coming form now.
Pike

Post by Pike »

I live in Dubai.

I find the city both fake and fascinating.
The locals aloof and aloof. The one's you know through school are extremely nice (though for the younger ones, they are sometimes intense at PTCs).

The plight of the workers will break your heart.
The treatment of the "nannies/ maids etc... is horrible.
There is definitely a racial divide with what each cultural/ethnic group does here.

Service is inconsistent. You will spend a half hour trying to explain to a delivery person how to get to your home because an address system is barely existent (most come from country where the concept is foreign).
However, every place you go you are treated like you are in Business/ first class.

I do find the people here to be self- absorbed and righteous at times, but they are people who are not. People drive like teenagers here; be prepared for sporadic & reckless maneuvers.

Dubai is a modern city and in some ways more technologically advance than most western cities. Cultural development has lagged (be prepare for a "3rd world mentality.")

You will also recognize many of the same food chains that exist in the US and Europe. Dubai would be an easy adjustment if this is your first overseas experience. Everyone speaks English though not as well as they think.

There is plenty of things to do,... go carting, paint-balling, bowling, a cold beer at your favorite bar (don't drink and drive,..taxis are relatively cheap and it isn't worth the hassle.

Weather isn't that great,... between November and April and its pleasant,... warm whether to windbreaker weather. Otherwise, its hotter than hell. The sand feels like burning coals. Most hang out in the malls.... there are even things to do there was well.... like the movies, ski Dubai, and indoor soccer fields.

I am not sure if this helps.... good luck