salary

ingmarbueb

salary

Post by ingmarbueb »

my wife makes 75000 dollars as a teacher here in nyc.after taxes and all other deductions (i am the housekeeper right now)we have around 60000 dollars left.a house here costs in the suburbs ca.$300000 in the city of brooklyn ca.$600000.food,clothing and restaurant prices are very low.she teaches 5 times 40 minutes per day,has not many conferences and about 3 months holidays.those are good living conditions.of course we have free health care with no copay and descent doctors .but i don't like nyc and would rather live in switzerland that is somehow a home to me since i am born in wangen am bodensee.
the question to you guys would be:what living conditions( like above named)would apply to us if my wife taught at an international school in either schaffhausen or winterthur.we might want to live in my heimat(freistaat baden,germany) but also consider living in the eidgenossenschaft.i thank you for any reply in advance.
ingmarbueb

salary

Post by ingmarbueb »

oh i forgot ,she has 8 years of fulltime classroom experience a master plus 60 credits and a tenure position and a ny state license.(is that transferable into a swiss license?)we have 2 little kids i take care of until they go to school.then i plan on going back into my business,i am an opera singer.how does it look in that genre.
again thanks for any reply.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ingmarbueb

salary

Post by ingmarbueb »

ca. bedeutet circa.you don't have that in english,oh well.i want to know if the lifing standard over there is comparable to ours here in a hypothetical situation.before we throw away what we have we want to know what would expect us .if you don't like the question,don't answer it.
by the way zurich would be an option too.
thanks again
Pike

Re: salary

Post by Pike »

[quote="ingmarbueb"]ca. bedeutet circa.you don't have that in english,oh well.i want to know if the lifing standard over there is comparable to ours here in a hypothetical situation.before we throw away what we have we want to know what would expect us .if you don't like the question,don't answer it.
by the way zurich would be an option too.
thanks again[/quote]

The question is not very clear on what exactly you are asking.
Are you looking to relocate to Germany or Switzerland first or are you looking for a job, then relocate. if the former, your wife will be given a local hire contract and in the latter, she will get a overseas contract.

Your wife seems more than qualified, except a lacking in IB experience. (At least, you don't seem to have listed that in your "mini resume.")

I suggest, you do a search for international schools in both countries. many of the schools will list their expectations. Be aware, many schools are hesitant about hiring a couple in which only one is a teacher. If you relocate first, then you are less of a financial burden on them, and it may not matter.

Just a small note: Taxes in Germany are really high (close to 40% I think).

Zurich International School
70+ swiss francs (before the 22% tax)
Medical, but no dental (option)

Franconian International School
44- 47 euros (before 40% tax)
Full medical including dental

Berlin International School
55- 58 euros (before 40+% tax)
Insurance is not worldwide optional dental

Based on what you wrote above, you have a much sweeter deal in NYC
Even if you took the taxes away.... you will not come close to clearing 70,000 salary wise and only one of the three seem to have anything close to the medical you seem to have now.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

I'm now working in a suburb of Chicago. Your wife's salary is very good, and her retirement benefits terrific. The fact that your health insurance is that good is great as well. Most districts in the US are looking at dramatically rising health care costs, and are pressured to pass that on to staff.

As an example, I left my past job simply because my current job offered my free health care for myself and my family. That meant nearly $15k was put back in my pocket.

I'd be very surprised if you could match that anywhere in the world let alone Europe. Most overseas schools only give partial credit for prior teaching experience. There are exceptions, but I doubt there is a school in Europe that does so.

I would expect you to find her salary will be much less, she wouldn't get credit for retirement from NY, and you'd get hit with taxes and much higher cost of living.
ingmarbueb

salary

Post by ingmarbueb »

thank you,greeting to chicago