London

sweetpea

London

Post by sweetpea »

I am interested in a job in London or the UK, but I don't know about packages. I am single, but I would like to be able to save and travel at least a bit. Does anyone have any recommendations?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Very few schools in the UK will allow you to save anything (as virtually none pay any kind of housing). Possibly Aberdeen in Scotland. Although I would love to hear differently from someone.
jessd82

Post by jessd82 »

I lived and worked in England for 2 years, but not at an international school, just regular "public" schools and I'd say it depends on your situation and life style as well as what the pay difference might be between the international schools and what the average teacher makes. I didn't save, but did travel about 3-4 times per year, including flights back to the US for Christmas, summer and one of the other holidays to see my family, if I hadn't made all those trips I could have saved a lot more. You have to be smart about housing, living in a house share is a good way to save a lot of money. The international schools I'm aware of in England are in fairly pricey areas from what I can see, so living on your own or supporting a family would be difficult. I'd say it's possible since I obviously did parts of it and if I had been smarter probably could have saved a little (I also had US bills to pay so that took away from some potential).
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

The American School in London pays pretty well. I have a friend there and he's never leaving.

http://www.asl.org/page.cfm?p=1397
koda

Post by koda »

[quote="frees1spirit"]The American School in London pays pretty well. I have a friend there and he's never leaving.

[/quote]

I have a friend who attended school there and said it's a great school. Also, I know someone who works there now, been there for more than 5 years- and they seem to have very low staff turnover. Seems like a great place to work... it's on my list of schools to try and teach at once I get some international experience.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="koda"][quote="frees1spirit"]The American School in London pays pretty well. I have a friend there and he's never leaving.

[/quote]

I have a friend who attended school there and said it's a great school. Also, I know someone who works there now, been there for more than 5 years- and they seem to have very low staff turnover. Seems like a great place to work... it's on my list of schools to try and teach at once I get some international experience.[/quote]

Maybe, but London is expensive. They pay 70K but still estimate that a teaching cpl can only save $3000.00? Not that money is everything, but just something to be aware of.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

I have lived in London and would again if I could get into that school. My friend lives very well on his salary and saves. The salary is tax free also.

They say a couple would only save $3000 but you could definitely save more. You can spend loads in London if you want to but you don't have to. When I went to the Bahamas they said you could only save $1000 but I saved about $10,000 a year and had 2 luxury holidays a year.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="frees1spirit"]I have lived in London and would again if I could get into that school. My friend lives very well on his salary and saves. The salary is tax free also.

[/quote]

Free of US taxes, yes, but the school quotes deductions for taxes and other reasons at 32%.