QSI Help!

martijem

QSI Help!

Post by martijem »

This will (hopefully) be our first placement abroad. In another post I was assured that it was quite easy to get a job with QSI, so my husband and I applied. The next day we received a call, our references were fully checked within a week, and we have an interview scheduled. I do have a good feeling so far about the company. The pay isn't great, but it's good. Our children were invited to interview with us and I have contacted a former employee. But, I have read some very negative reviews on this site that scare me a bit. I realize that school/placement highly affect job satisfaction with this company so my question is (Irealize this question has been posted before.)... What locations would you recommend? What locations would you stay away from? Thank you very much!
koda

Post by koda »

Martijem, I too am hoping that QSI will be my first overseas placement. I applied, the next day had a phone call, my references were checked within a week, and I have an interview schedule. Horray! I have questions similar to yours... and while I can't answer them (because I am in the same stage of the process as you), I thought I'd let you know you weren't alone with your reservations and questions.

I also wondered, with QSI do you get a choice- do they offer you a few locations, or do they tell you, we can hire you at this one school only? I wasn't sure how exactly that worked... and so far I haven't seen that answered on the boards yet...
martijem

Post by martijem »

Wow! It's nice to know others are in the same situation with the same reservations. From what I understand after working with QSI for 2 years you are able to transfer to other locations before the hiring process begins, giving transfers first choice. After this process is completed (near the end of December) QSI begins placing new hires. I believe from my correspondence with QSI that you can consider several locations.
I also feel that the "interview" is more of a discussion of location, etc. I get the impression that if you have a scheduled interview you have a position with the company if you choose to take it. My husband and I interview in Atlanta on Jan. 29th. How about you? Please let me know how things work out and if you find any more helpful info.
Thanks!
koda

Post by koda »

Yes, I've been told about the 2 year transfer too- I like the mobility option that QSI has, and actually, I'm a fan of the mastery system- I actually do a modified version of it in my classroom already.

I didn't know what to expect from the interview- I know it is 90 minutes long so they can present the school and interview you. That would be really nice if it is also a discussion of locations.... most of the locations I think I would be fine... there is only one place I have no interest in going... but for 2 years, I could probably manage.

I'm interviewing the weekend before you in California. I will definitely let you know how things work out and if I find out more information, and please, you do the same!
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

They usually give you a choice of locations, depending upon what is open. When we interviewed (a few years ago) they gave us a choice of 2 options. They like to hire couples, so both have to fit into the openings available at that particular school. You can apply to transfer after 2 years, but sometimes it's hard to transfer to your school/location of choice because it's dependent upon what is open at your desired location. The interview for us was just a discussion about QSI philosophy and locations. It seems, after they go over your application, check your references etc. that if they call you in for an interview, they have already decided to hire you. We are happy with QSI and will stay with them for a while. Good luck
martijem

Post by martijem »

mathgym-
Can you suggest locations/schools or give an idea of which ones to stay away from?
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

I don't know enough about each individual school to give you an answer. I wouldn't base my decision on who the director is at a particular school. Just like teachers, directors can move around too. But, since there are so many locations and sizes of schools, you should use that as a guide. If you know you are not interested in living in central Asia (Kazakhstan etc) or know you might like China, then consider those schools only. Also, some of the QSI schools are quite small (50 students) or less. In those schools you won't be teaching one grade level or subject area. You may be doing more of an individualized teaching plan for each student. If that is not your thing, then try to go to a bigger school (with at least 100 students).
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

If you have children I would make school size and class composition my priorities. The ages of your children will have a definite impact on the school you want to choose as will the composition of their class.

Keeping in mind that these are my opinions, I think that If you have older kids then a bigger QSI school, even when comparing schools that service students up to Grade 12, would probably be best. They will have more to offer in terms of both academics and out of school activities. Its all fine and good to say that your kids will be involved in local community events but having watched two sons play bball in local leagues its not always easy. If your kids are younger then its probably not as vitally important.

As for class composition, personally I would prefer a more international feel for my kids, rather than a homegrown one. This means there are many children trying to adapt, with many languages being spoken rather than simply a local one. As a parent there is nothing harder than watching your child adjust while you are adjusting and I think a more international type school will offer more opportunities for your kids. Now how you tell one from the other when you are still in North America is another question.
Last edited by Overhere on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
koda

Post by koda »

overhere or mathgym- I know that QSI has pretty decent benefits... that being said, how is the health insurance? Does it cover pre-existing conditions? ...Also, in terms of the flights- do they reimburse you for the flight or do you find that they send you tickets to get to the school?

Thanks!
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

Health Insurance is good and covers everything. How you get to use the coverage is another story. It depends on which country you are in and how that country's medical system works. We have to pay out of pocket and then submit for reimbursement.
Plane tickets were purchased for us and sent to us.
koda

Post by koda »

Thanks mathgym for the info... that is how my dental insurance works here in the states- its a pain, but manageable.
Last edited by koda on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azteacher

Post by azteacher »

We are in our 1st year with QSI, and are very happy. We applied late in the year, but we were given a choice of all schools that had openings that fit our qualifications.

We have been very happy with the insurance. We do not have to pay anything out of pocket and do not have a co-pay. The most expensive part is our taxi ride to the doctor!

I would take a job with QSI without reservation. It's only a one year contract, so you can always look for something new next year.
Cooldude

QSI locations to stay away from

Post by Cooldude »

Having spent four years with QSi in two locations, i would advise staying out of Kazaksthan - especially Atyrau ( location sucks - oilfield trash town with nothing to do and unpleasant administration) and Almaty (very expensive and high staff turnover). China is pretty good and so is Macedonia. Housing varies a lot from location to location as do religious expectations depending on the administrator.
koda

QSI positions available?

Post by koda »

Does QSI put all positions available on their website? It seems like they don't have that many positions to fill this year, looking at the forum and what has been said in past years...?? So far, they only have one location with my field... and it's not in a place I'm excited to go to... should I expect them to continue listing vacancies? Is it still early in their system?
azteacher

Post by azteacher »

Contracts were due in December, but it does seem like most schools haven't posted. I think there will be more positions posted soon.