Overseas schools

kfssbjj

Overseas schools

Post by kfssbjj »

I have read a lot of complaints about for profit schools, bad owners / board, lack of support, bad housing and the list goes on.

Remember, we are GUESTS in another country. GUESTS GUESTS GUESTS

We have no rights nor do we have a right to complain. The country you are in IS NOT your country. The owner, boart, etc.. has a right to do whatever they want to do. If the teacher doesn't like it...well the airport is down the street.

I have a Cambodian friend who is a teach in Cambodia. He makes $100 per month for 9 months. Support??? Resources??? They have no clue what that is. He has to feed his family on $900 per year.

An overseas teacher should always have an open mind and be willing to go with the flow, not create the flow.

Enjoy your location as a GUEST of the country. These are not American schools. They will be different. Don't like different??? Stay home.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

While your points are somewhat valid, I believe that you are missing the point of this website. The website is here to provide important information to prospective teachers so that they do not find themselves in surprisingly bad situations that are nothing like what they were promised in their job interviews.
kfssbjj

Getting the point

Post by kfssbjj »

I do get the point. Usually the teachers that complain the most are the ones with the least experience. They go to another country expecting everything to be like the US. When they find out that things are the way they throught they would be they use this site to bash the school.

New teachers need to know that whatever country they are going to, they will be a guest and only a guest in that country. They do need to know that housing may be bad. The owners may be bad. That the admin and resources may be bad.

But they need to know this with the mindset of a guest, not a host. Though we are Americans, not every country is America.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
kfssbjj

Thanks for the reply

Post by kfssbjj »

Turth be told I have been to 45 countries and have many years experience as a counselor and teacher from K-College.

Again I do get the point. Teachers should take certain things into consideration before even going to another country regardless of where the counrty is and what the school is.

I have read a lot of reviews on this site and I have to sometimes wonder the mind set of those who write what they do. I read a lot of reviews before heading out to my current country and school. Nothing written was even close to the truth. But, then again, if it had been the truth it still wouldn't have mattered. Great school or bad school, I was still a guest and had to adjust to the situation.

Teachers should always know that adjustment is key to having a great experience wherever they go.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Thanks for the reply

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I am the last one to defend anyone that expects every country to be like the US (or Canada, many Canadians I have taught with have been worse about this than the Americans) . I have taught in Egypt, Japan and now China and was quite pleased that things were very different.

I think the point you miss is that many of the complaints here and in the reviews (if you have shelled out the big bucks) are not about expecting things to be like the US. They are mostly about being lied to by employers, being treated unprofessionally by administrators, having your money stolen by greedy owners and being pressured to give grades that were not earned because the parent has power and privledge. What part of any of that has anything to do with your rant about being guests and if we don't like it there's the airport.

Have you managed to start a family in all of your travels? If so, you would know what it's like to accept a job and move your family around the world only to find that you have been lied to and cheated.

Please save your disdain for those that actually do compare everything about a new country to where they came from and complain when it doesn't measure up (yet still want to reap the financial benefits and enjoy the cheap cost of living). There are those that actually deserve it.
dpurple

guests

Post by dpurple »

I suggest kfssbjj look up the definition of guest. With taxes I pay in the country I live and work, I am most certainly not a guest, and feel entirely comfortable with my, hopefully, objective criticism.