Is Search worth it just for the online postings, vetting?

twostars

Is Search worth it just for the online postings, vetting?

Post by twostars »

Hello all,

I'm wondering if it's worth filing an application with Search or ISS if I'm not planning to attend a fair. I know some schools only post their vacancies to these websites, and prefer to hire through these services b/c of the vetting process...

I'm following my husband around for his job, so I'd only be applying for schools in one city. However, it would be beneficial if I could get hired before moving b/c of the difference in contracts. I have a M.Ed., certification, PYP/overseas experience (2yrs and 4 yrs, respectively), etc.

So, is it worth the $200? Or should I just call/email schools?

Thanks!
wrldtrvlr123

Search

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

My first rection to this question is always Yes, it's still worth it. The school information, the searchable database and the ability to be in the database that schools can work from makes Search a great resource even if you are not going to a fair.

In your case, since you're only interested/able to apply to schools in one city, it's not as clearcut. You can certainly apply to schools directly, but not all schools list openings on their websites. You could be at an advantage with some schools thinking you will have stability and a support system in place with your husband's job, but then again some schools may feel like if his job changes, then they risk losing you mid-year (depending on his job).

I don't know if the PM feature is working here or not. But if you tell me the city (and your teaching area), I'm happy to give you the rundown on the schools and the job openings right now.
bedu teacher

Same boat

Post by bedu teacher »

Hello Twostars,

Thanks for asking the question as I am in the same situation and hadn't thought of joining Search. I knew I didn't want to go to the fairs, but the information on job openings/benefits might be worth the $200.

Have you had luck finding work in the past? I'm in NY now doing an MEd. Before, I taught ESL (part time) wherever we lived. I'm ready for something more stable.

Good luck to you!
Pike

Post by Pike »

There is some important things you need to understand about SEARCH ASSOCIATES.

They mainly function as a data collection/ sharing agency. They collect data from schools about openings, and they collect date from prospective teachers. They really do not screen anything. (They are some real dodgy schools registered with SEARCH.) Also, "your associate" doesn't head hunt for you at all. They basically act like a cheerleader (if that). When you ask them about schools, you are almost always assured to receive a diplomatic response.

Unfortunately, some schools advertise through SEARCH, instead of through their own website. TIE online is also another great resource. About 80%+ of schools on SEARCH also use TIE. There are prbably about 10- 20% schools that advertise on TIE and not SEARCH. It is also a lot cheaper, about 30 USD per year.
Spod

Post by Spod »

I have never used Search, but have used tieonline. I have to say I've been disappointed by the quality of the schools on there. Perhaps it's just my subject, but I found far better jobs on TES.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
frees1spirit

Post by frees1spirit »

I was at a bad school last year and this year my associate has diplomatically discouraged others from signing with the school. The school is having a lot of problems this year finding staff through Search and I hear are actually making some changes. I don't think this is usual though.