new here and interested in teaching overseas

leeannpal

new here and interested in teaching overseas

Post by leeannpal »

[size=12][/size]Hi everyone,

I am currently a middle school teacher in Georgia and am considering looking for an overseas position. I am renewing my certificate at this point, and should have it up to date, but not until the early summer. I do have internationl school experience in South Korea and Portugal from several years ago.

I've already filled out an application on the DODEA website, as that is really the route I would like to go, but I have heard that it is competitive.

I have an 8 year old daughter and a husband who is not a certified teacher. Our situation may be a little unique because my husband is in seminary, and he wants to be a pastor/missionary overseas. We will work to support ourselves. He has ESL overseas teaching experience in Korea, and is a veteran who has worked as a civilian on military bases overseas before.

My questions are about applying to individual American schools overseas vs. Dodds. Would I be able to find a school that would provide housing and insurance for all three of us? I believe my husband could get work as an ESL teacher almost anywhere with a work visa, but he would need insurance. I know we would most likely have to pay his airfare. Are there any schools that do pay for more than one dependant's airfare? Ad finally, does anyone know if I sound like a good fit for the Dodds system?
wrldtrvlr123

Int'l or DoDDS

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi:

You sound like a fine fit for DoDDS, but getting in with them is like hitting the lottery. You can't win if you don't play, but don't hold your breath or plan a life around it.

As for int'l schools, there are some schools that don't like to pay housing and airfare for two dependents on one teacher contract, but there are plenty that will. Bottom line is if they want you, they will do it. If you have math or science certification, that would be a plus. If not, you still have a great shot.

Many schools in China would be likely to cover your husband and daughter if they are really interested in you.
djekalo

Post by djekalo »

wrldtrvlr123 is right about china, there are several schools there that might fit the bill. There are quite a lot of faith based schools that might be attractive for your husband as well. You might try some of the Concordia schools (lutheran) or try the website that features mainly church sponsored schools. There are also several in the Chang Mai area that might be worth inquiring about. Most of the schools will provide housing and tuition for at least one child and virtualy all provide health insurance.