Shipping Quote

derPhysik

Shipping Quote

Post by derPhysik »

I have found a shipper that will send 200 lbs (90 kgs) of books and clothes from NYC to the Middle East for 200 dollars. During the process we started with a quote of 400lbs for 250 dollars (I didn't know how much my stuff weighed until I got the essentials containerized) and it didn't really matter where in the world I was going.
I put my stuff in 8 rugged flip-top boxes. There are other container choices, but this worked best for me.
Is 200 lbs for 200 dollars a good deal? How much would the airlines charge if I showed up with 4 extra suitcases at 50lbs each?
I am also driving my stuff down to the docks so there is no forwarding or shipping in the U.S.
Is this a good deal?
senator

Post by senator »

Check the airline website to find out about their baggage policy/extra baggage costs. It is usually $50 per extra/oversize bag.
This may be cheaper than shipping.
And good for you for negotiating salary and not accepting anyone's crumbs!
derPhysik

OFFTOPIC

Post by derPhysik »

(PM is disabled?)
In the words of Bob Seger, "I ain't pretty, but I ain't shy"
They never changed wording on contract (does it need to go back to the board?) but I was given verbal assurance that they would cover more shipping, and cover some more utilities. Small increase that makes me feel 1000% better. We'll see if they are righteous men. Lot of "wait, see" in this racket.
Keep the faith, Cicero!
BACK TO TOPIC:
Do I want to be massaging 200 lbs in 4 conainers (+2 suitcases) into and out of an airport? I would need a pick up to get there, 2 porters, and a pick up truck upon arrival.
On the plus side- more security?
On the downside- Customs? They would want to rifle the entire thing. Where would I hide my handgun and drugs and King James bible???? (J/K uptight teachers!)
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

If at all possible I would take your stuff with you on the airplane. Having said that I would be interested to know how much it costs for extra bags in this age of charging for snacks, seats and any other creature comfort. I wouldn't worry about customs going through your stuff, they may or may not do it regardless of how you get your stuff there. If baggage fees are acceptable then I wouldn't worry about hiring a couple of airport porters to help you with your stuff. I vastly overpaid two guys at LAX 10 years ago, they are probably still telling stories about me, but it was worth every penny. I had 3 kids under the age of 10 and 12 boxes at 70 lbs each. Everything made it to SE Asia without a problem, except for the bag I had my contact lens stuff in which showed up the next day.

As for shipping, try to get a shipper that has offices at both ends of the shipment. This will make your life so much easier and will probably be cheaper in the long run. You will be able to keep track of your shipment easier this way as well. As for your school picking you up, I wouldn't worry about that either. My guess is that they will be expecting that type of situation and will plan accordingly.

Back to your original question, $200 doesn't sound like a lot for stuff that will make your stay overseas more comfortable.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derPhysik

Now, hold on a minute here....

Post by derPhysik »

What I meant is that there is a base cost and the weight doesn't drive it up very much. I think I could ship 600 lbs of crud for 280 bucks. It just gets cheaper and cheaper per lb. It is tempting to scrape up 400 lbs of stuff and not have to say, "yes" or "no". I'm sure some people can't say, "no". But at the other end, I'm going to have to find space for 400 lbs of crud and then when (if?) I leave, start the whole process over. Better, now.
200 lbs is plenty. I've got the essentials, plus a few comfort items.
There was no negotiating, you big nut. Don't beat that dead horse!
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

I haven't read the whole thread but:
In my experience shipping by sea is way cheaper though it takes a long time. Bringing boxes and extra bags with you on the plane and through the airport is a nightmare. Just ship by sea as soon as you can.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

You get 100 lbs./2 bags free from the airline. 2 extra bags will run about $50 each. You wheel into the airport. You wheel it out. How hard is that?

I took five fifty pound bags from the SE USA to SE Asia. Checked them from the start all the way through to my final destination.

Total cost $150...no shipping BS, no customs BS, it all arrived in the airport when I did despite changing planes three times/five airports.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I wouldn't count on the extra baggage charge being $50. Air Canada charges $225 per bag. Check this link to followup on other airlines:

http://budgettravel.about.com/od/airfar ... agfees.htm

Taking your bags with you will be easier in the long run and I think you will get a better idea of what it will cost you up front. My experience with shipping overseas is that you then have to worry about storage charges, customs clearance charges, delivery charges etc.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

We have been to 6 countries. Be careful.
Lots of stupid rules out there.
Do you have to be a resident to accept your shipment? Paid big bucks in Slovakia for storage and waited until papers were complete, 4 months!

Do they have taxes (ME probably not)? 20% coming into Peru.
Do you have to pay bribes? Pay the school driver and mandoub to get you to the right place and figure it all out?
Be present at customs to be inspected?
Is it air or sea? ME is very hot on the ship and in customs. Your stuff can cook on the dock.
ME is very laid back at times your stuff may not be as timely arriving as you think.
Pack your most important teaching stuff and essential in your suitcases.

It is well worth paying a few porters and overweight charges to know you things are with you. call the airline make sure you tell them you are a teacher moving ovrseas. They can be very accomodating if they want to be. You may want to call the Sales office too, they me be able to help.
I would try to excess baggage if I were you.
InAmerica

Post by InAmerica »

Can you tell me the name of the shipping company am in Idaho and have been quoted over $1400 to air freight roughly 400lbs to Middle East!
Would love to check out your deal??
Have a snowboard (just in case you never know - Europe is closer) couple of suitcases and some packing boxes.
Cheers
derPhysik

@InAmerica

Post by derPhysik »

Whenever I hit the PM button, it says, "feature disabled". Send an e-mail to "Ging Trias <ging.trias@conterm.com>" Tell her you are an international teacher and you heard about her company Vanguard Logistics on a teacher forum. I asked her if they would like more teacher business. I've got my dates for shipping (about 20 days to cross the ocean) and she has put me in touch with their agent at the other end to deliver it to my school. I'm filling out paperwork right now, but it seems to be going smoothly. When I find added costs at the destination, I'll post those numbers.
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

derPhysiks:

Does Vanguard Logistics ship from SE Asia to Central America? I'm currently looking for a shipping company.
derPhysik

I'm not Vanguard

Post by derPhysik »

I have as many questions as you. I'm doing the paperwork and researching as I go along. (I couldn't find anything cheaper)
Send Ging an e-mail and see what the company can do.