teaching couple with two kids

kaidonlogger

teaching couple with two kids

Post by kaidonlogger »

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are planning on heading back overseas again, this time as a teaching couple. She has lots of experience including 5 years international, she has experience in all grade levels as well including loads of esl, I am a new teacher with less than 5 years experience in elementary. I know teaching couples are in demand but we do have two young kids 7 and 5. Just wondering if any of you are in similar situations and if you've found trying to land jobs difficult with school aged kids. Thanks
wrldtrvlr123

Job hunt with 2 dependents

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi:

We only have one child, but we know many teachers who have found great opportunities at very good schools with two children. I'm sure there are some schools where it may weigh slightly against you (due to space or the fact you are up against a couple with one or no children), but it should not close many doors for you. Two dependents seems to be readily accepted by most schools (just don't have another before you get your dream job!).

You are in better shape if your wife is going for an ESL or any non-elementary to balance out your elementary (it seems many schools save the elementary spots to fill out the other half of a secondary hire).

Our one child has special needs (which is another story altogether!), but we have found our share of positions and opportunities by doing a little more homework and legwork.

Good luck!