New Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

huffster337

New Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Post by huffster337 »

I just accepted a teaching position in HCMC, Vietnam and I will be moving there at the end of July. I'm a new graduate and very excited about this new adventure overseas. I'm a single teacher and would really love information from teachers that have been overseas teaching for awhile. Also if anyone has information about living in Vietnam, especially HCMC I would greatly appreciate it. I can't wait to start teaching but I want to be as prepared as possible!
Gemini72

Post by Gemini72 »

I'd start learning about the culture, etiquette and customs of the country asap. Plus start taking a Vietnamese language course; a 6 month jump on language can make a huge difference in your settling-in when you arrive.
bayani

Post by bayani »

@ Huffster, so you got an international teaching job straight out of undergrad? Do you have the 2-3 years of teaching experience many schools seem to ask for? If not, did you have many options available to you?

I'm curious since I hope to apply for a position after leaving grad school next year but won't have experience teaching my own class in a formal school setting.
huffster337

To Bayani

Post by huffster337 »

I did just graduate in December with my BS in Physical Education. I also have a BA in psychology. I don't have the 2-3 years of classroom experience that was recommended but I have thousands of volunteer hours and have coached many sports and teach classes at a fitness club.

I went to the UNI fair, which I thought was really helpful and heard it was the best one out there. I had 5 total interviews and was offered 3 positions.

The thing I learned was to contact schools beforehand and sell what you have done in teaching since I don't have the "2 years experience." As a new teacher you have to be flexible and open to interviewing with schools that weren't on your radar.

Hope this helps.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayani

Post by bayani »

That's definitely helpful to hear. I'm eager to get overseas and am certainly flexible as far as a location.

A couple more questions: Did you wait until schools attending the fair were posted, then reach out to those specifically? Did that led to interviews at the fair being set up in advance?