Qatar Academy

Jen_USA

Qatar Academy

Post by Jen_USA »

Hi all,

Anyone out there working at Qatar Academy?

Can you tell me what the housing is like, work day, students, staff, etc.

Anything that would be helpful in making a decision. They list the salary, but it is quite a large scale. Does anyone know ho wmany steps there are in their scale? What would someone with 9 years of experience on the BA
level expect?

Also, housing is important. How is their singles housing?

Overall, is Qatar Academy a worthwhile place to work, or should I hold out for ASD?

All help greatly appreciated. Jennifer
Pike

Post by Pike »

Jenifer,

I was at Qatar Academy for a soccer tournament a year ago.

The school facility is fantastic! It is part of a huge compound that host 6 different USA based universities. There is even a Starbucks on the compound.

During the tournament, I stayed with a host, who were teachers at the school. The accommodations were excellent, but I stayed with a teaching couple. So, I am not sure if it is drastically different. All the teachers seem to like living and working in Doha. (I hosted another teacher for a different tournament)

I live in Dubai. So, I know ASD pretty well. ASD is renovating it's faciltiy, so it would probably be on par with QA. The real difference will be the student body. ASD is almost all American, while QA will have a more diverse student body.

Another big difference is culture. Dubai is a modern cosmopolitan city with a diverse population from all over the world. My short week in Doha I've seen more culture than an entire year in Dubai. Both are economically developed, but Dubai is more socially liberal.

I can't comment on the salary scale, but goods and services seem to cost about the same in both countries.

All things considered,... you can't go wrong with your decision. I would work at both schools.

Good Luck!
TallGuy

Post by TallGuy »

Excellent school and one to work at without hesitation!