QSI Help!

koda

Post by koda »

[quote="tennisfanusa"]koda - I'll be joining you in the QSI family - although in a different country! :)[/quote]

Congrats tennisfanusa! Where will you be headed?
tennisfanusa

Post by tennisfanusa »

Kazakhstan - even though some on here said to avoid it, the country has attracted me, so it was my first preference, so I'm very happy.
Danda

Post by Danda »

You wanted to go to Kazakhstan? You are absolutely nuts. Very few ever want to go to Kazakhstan and no one ever wants to stay after they get there. Hope you enjoy it.

What city? I hope for your sake you at least got lucky enough to land in Almaty, which is the only liveable city in Kazakhstan and by far the best school in Kazakhstan and maybe the best in all of QSI. You'll probaby build super strong relationships with other teachers because they are all you've got there.

Make sure you visit Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan they are both great.
tennisfanusa

Post by tennisfanusa »

Wow - this is my first international placement so I appreciate any support I can get. :)

I like the cold weather and I tend to be a loner that enjoys a night at home. If I hate it, then oh well, but I have to give it a try. I'm ready for a change from teaching stateside.
koda

Post by koda »

[quote="tennisfanusa"]Wow - this is my first international placement so I appreciate any support I can get. :)

I like the cold weather and I tend to be a loner that enjoys a night at home. If I hate it, then oh well, but I have to give it a try. I'm ready for a change from teaching stateside.[/quote]

I've heard both positives and negatives about Kazakhstan. If you look online, there actually are a couple of blogs by QSI teachers there (especially in Almaty)- you can get some ideas of the experiences by googling them. I think, as with many places, it's what you make of it. It's a huge change. And since it's ex-soviet, there is probably a ton of extra bureaucracy and crazy things that go on with that. I'm sure I'll have many similar challenges that you will face... though I think it's harder to leave Kazakhstan than Belarus, at least that's what I've heard. I like you am ready for some cold weather and a big change!

Good luck! Keep us updated on how it is!
Danda

Post by Danda »

I apologize as my last post may have seemed a bit harsh. I was saying it jokingly and wasn’t trying to be a jerk about it. It is your first post and you deserve some more support. I remember telling people I was going to Kazakhstan and being warned about but still knowing that I had made the choice and had to make the most of it.

Kazakhstan isn’t a great place but it really isn’t that bad. I left as quickly as possible, as do most others (only 2 teachers of 50ish foreign hires had been there more than 2 years), because it didn’t provide the interesting international experience that I was looking for. I was definitely one of the more positive teachers at my particular school in Kazakhstan. Some teachers really let it get to them. The only thing that that is objectively bad about Almaty in particular is the pollution and in the other cities is the even more extreme isolation. Almaty’s air quality is some of the worst air quality in the world during the winter months. Other than that, it is absolutely what you make of it. I made some of the best friends I have in my life while in Kazakhstan.

Worst case scenario you hate it but still get your foot in the door of international teaching and best case scenario you enjoy it and still get your foot in the door.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about life in Kazakhstan. I may be able to help you out a bit.
koda

Post by koda »

Danda- did you stay with QSI when you left Kazakhstan or did you move on? Just wondering...
Danda

Post by Danda »

I transferred to another QSI school. The ability to transfer within QSI is a major benefit of the whole system. I'll stay where I'm at for 4-5 years because I really like it here and then probably look outside of QSI. I'm just not that interested in too many other QSI locations and struggle with the mastery system in secondary as it makes it tough to teach with serious academic rigor. But, who knows what will happen in that time.
koda

Post by koda »

[quote="Danda"]I transferred to another QSI school. The ability to transfer within QSI is a major benefit of the whole system. I'll stay where I'm at for 4-5 years because I really like it here and then probably look outside of QSI. I'm just not that interested in too many other QSI locations and struggle with the mastery system in secondary as it makes it tough to teach with serious academic rigor. But, who knows what will happen in that time.[/quote]

I really like the transferring policy- there are a handful of locations in Eastern Europe that I am interested in, but that might change once I'm actually in the region. We will see. I'm currently a HS teacher, so I can understand the conflict with mastery and rigor....I struggle with it in my own class- I want all kids to master material, but some do use it as an excuse to not do work in a timely manner. I'm switching and will be teaching primary next year when I join QSI, so hopefully it will work out okay for me. Thanks for sharing all of your info- it's super helpful.
Danda

Post by Danda »

Elementary teachers are with very few exceptions much happier with the mastery system than the secondary teachers. It seems that at about 13 years old the students figure out that they hold all the cards and can basically do whatever they want and still get by. Obviously, some abuse it and some don’t. I make it very uncomfortable for my students to get retakes and upgrades but it doesn’t prevent some students from working the system.

Also, there are a few locations in Eastern Europe I might consider as well.
tennisfanusa

Post by tennisfanusa »

Koda - do you have the link to those blogs? I've found some general blogs on expat-blogs.com but none are teachers.

Danda - thank you for your support! I will not be in Almaty, as that was my first choice, but I'm glad to know that now I won't be there with the air quality. I've heard that sometimes the snow is a dark color with the pollution in the air.

What type of electrical outlets are in Kazakhstan? The only electrical thing I'm taking is my laptop and I want to make sure it works. Is internet there reliable and fast? I can live just about anywhere as long as I have internet and a non-tropic climate.

I'm also in elementary so the mastery system is something I'm already required to do by my current school district....although I could imagine it is frustrating at the secondary level when student motivation becomes the sole determining factor of success.
koda

Post by koda »

"Koda - do you have the link to those blogs? I've found some general blogs on expat-blogs.com but none are teachers. "

Tennisfanusa, send me an email and I'll link you to the blogs. Since they use their real names in the blogs, I don't want to post them here- to preserve the annonymous aspect of it. You can email me at koda.taecan at gmail.com. I found them when I thought I might be going there as that's where most of the openings seemed to be- I wanted to get as much info as possible!
tennisfanusa

Post by tennisfanusa »

Thanks Koda :) Taken care of.

I've read that some browsers automatically reset to the native language of the country you are in when you connect to the internet. Is this par for the course Danda?
kakki81

Almaty school & social scene

Post by kakki81 »

Thought I'd chime in as I was recently offered a position (as a counselor) in Almaty, Kazakhstan. I was glad to see it's the largest city in Kazakhstan so less isolation, and I'm not too worried about the air pollution since I last lived in South Korea and it's pretty bad over there too.

The things I am worried about are the strong religious bent - I grew up religious but am no longer and I know the feeling all too well of being the odd one out. I'm also a little worried about the lack of a social life. Does anyone (CoolDude or Danda) know about the singles/social scene in Almaty? Does it even exist? After reading some of the previous posts it honestly might be that that keeps me from going there. It may sound less than noble but I know what a difference it makes for quality of life.
Danda

Post by Danda »

If you take the counseling position, at least you will have very small shoes to fill.

Your social life really depends on you. It wasn't hard to get together with other teachers 3-4 days a week for meals, movies, drinks, etc... If your idea of a social life included hanging out with locals and bars then it gets a bit tougher. There are some really fun bars but they are very expensive (I remember paying $10 for a beer). I was and am still married but i'll try to give you a run down on the singles scene. As far as hooking up with the ladies, it seemed that it wasn't as easy as say China. You can hang out at a bar but must realize that you are dirt compared to all other expats. The oil guys, bankers, lawyers are making 20x what you're making and the ladies know that. So, you might be hot shit in China as a white guy but in kazakhstan you will be seen as a poor white expat. You can still hook up but you won't be quite the hot commodity you would be elsewhere. If you're into dating other expats, the pickings are really slim. I did know a fellow teacher that met and married a local Russian gal and seems really happy. Honestly, I really enjoyed my social life there and made some of the best friends I have while working there.

Let me know if you have other questions.