Re: Grrrr

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@wrldtrvlr123

Curses you and your magic eight ball...[/quote]
---------------------------------------------

Now, you're going for a High Times kind of vibe. :P
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Some schools will offer around 10-15k RMB, and 11 month contracts. They will be an option if you aren't certified, or want IB experience
danny514

Post by danny514 »

Lol @ Psyguy. That pretty much sums it up.

I'm making around 25,000 RMB net (21,000 + 4,000 housing) working in a 3rd tier school in Shanghai. Single, but dating a local girl (so that means paying double every time I go out). I've been saving at least 6,000 RMB per month, travelling every holiday, eating out at nice places on weekends, and have no money worries whatsoever. Financially, life is good.
julie33

Post by julie33 »

Thanks everyone for their replies! Not only for entertainment value (Psyguy), but it's helpful to hear how people are fairing who are living in China right now, and also how much they're able to save. I'd love to hear from anyone else...
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

I'm always interested in these threads as well. I'm living in China and bringing home around 26KRMB/month, though there's an extra 4-5K/month because of the whole fa piao culture here (claiming back receipts). Not sure if Wrldtrvlr counts that as part of the gross.

The interesting thing for me is that I have 3 dependents (non-working spouse and 2 school age children) and we're still able to save money here. We aren't the most "interesting" family, though, so that may have a lot to do with it!
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

Don't drag your family into it CG! ^_^
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

HA! Agreed! I rescind my last statement about the family being interesting (or not)...
julie33

Post by julie33 »

ChoirGuy, can you expand on what you meant by the "fa piao" culture and what you claim receipts for, and how?
btech

Post by btech »

[quote="julie33"]ChoirGuy, can you expand on what you meant by the "fa piao" culture and what you claim receipts for, and how?[/quote]

Yes, please elaborate ChoirGuy!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Fapiaos are the official Government receipt issued for goods purchased. The receipt you receive at the cash register (if you get one at all) is most often not a fapio. You usually have to ask for it specifically or go to a different counter to get it. The fapiao is the receipt that the government uses to tax business income so some businesses are hesitant to give you one. Often if they do they will charge you for it. We pay 240 RMB for a fapiao for our rent which we then turn in to the school to get reimbursed. Ironically you can buy fapiaos from official government agents for any amount you want, if you have paperwork supporting the purchase, a legitimate purchase or not.

I have friends who collect fapiaos to offset their income taxes. The more fapiaos they collect the less the tax taken off their paycheque. My school doesn't work that way however.

The government has been cracking down a bit on what type of fapiaos are acceptable in particular situations. We used to be able submit almost anything, taxis, restaurants etc, but not now. Only official rent and utility fapiaos are acceptable.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

As far as fa piaos go, I'm new here, so may be getting this wrong, but here's MY experience at MY school...maybe different at other places.

We are given a "flexible benefits" allowance at the beginning of the year. It is explained to us that we can use this for things like food, utilities, dry cleaning, etc... When we go out to dinner or to a grocery store, we get a "fa piao" - not just a receipt, but a special receipt that you have to ask for. Some places give it to us, others don't. At the beginning of each month, we submit all of these to our finance dept and they re-imburse us if they accept the fa piaos. For my school, we are given a nice amount over a year - around 36,000RMB. On top of that, there are rules about flights that involve taxes - my flight allowance isn't taxed, but my dependents' flights ARE, at around 20%. BUT, all of this money is considered "flexible benefits", so as long as I don't claim my dependents' flights, I can use that money as "fa piao money" and it isn't taxed.

At the end of the school year, if there is anything left over, it is then given to me, but taxed at 20%. I think the whole point of this is to put money back into the Chinese economy, so that's why they tax it if you take it as cash at the end of the year.

I'm sure I'll be slapped on the wrist for giving out this information, but our school DOES say we are transparent!

Hope that all helps.
julie33

Post by julie33 »

I'm curious to know how common Choirguy's school's fa piao situation is. Can anyone else confirm that their school also provides these "flexible benefits"?

Choirguy (and anyone else who would like to weigh in), if you are essentially making roughly 30,000 RMB per month, and if I like to cook at home during the week, I don't go crazy with clothes shopping, and I don't have a serious tech addiction, what do you think a single with no dependents could save in a year?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@julie33

Its becoming more common with the recent changes in foreign employee taxes. Schools are looking for ways to cut their tax bill, and they are simply passing the work, and liability onto the teacher. Its going to trickle down throughout the schools over time.

There is no such thing as a girl who isnt crazy over shopping. Really we cant answer how much you can save though. I worked with a guy that saved his entire salary and lived off his side ELL income. If the 30K RMB is net, you had housing, and you were really frugal, ate cheap and at home or at school, were a home body, never shopped and didnt go out you could live on about 2000 RMB a month and save 28K (so about 90%) , but it wouldnt be much of a life worth living.
danny514

Post by danny514 »

For a comfortable, "middle class" life in Shanghai, figure on around 10,000 RMB a month in living expenses (not including rent).
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

@julie33...as a single, with eating at home, you could probably save half of that-approximately 15k- pretty easily. With family of four, we are trying to save about 10k/month. Start up costs are high, so don't base it on your first month or two. This is without having to pay rent.