How much information should be included in the email body?

hb2011

How much information should be included in the email body?

Post by hb2011 »

we are a taching couple, applying to schools using one email with separate cvs abd separate cover letters attached. Is this the correct format? On top of this, how much information should be included in the email body?

Thank you.
hb2011

Post by hb2011 »

sorry about the typos in the above mail :oops:

Does anyone have any advice on this? Should it just be a one liner - please find attached our application... or should we sell ourselves in the email body? Sorry if this seems an obvious question, we are brand new to the international circuit.

Thanks.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

I usually cut and paste about two thirds of my covering letter into the email, then add a couple of lines.

I have a job, so it must of worked (or I might have got the job inspite of this, who knows).
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

The body of my email IS my cover letter. Then I attach my resume. Someone please tell me if this is not a good way to do it!
hb2011

Post by hb2011 »

Well we are applying as a couple and so have separate covering letters. Also I like to send the covering letter as PDF as I think it looks more professional. I have not idea that I am right though!
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

I attach a PDF file with a joint cover letter (me and spouse), followed by our resumes and recent written references. I cut and paste the cover letter and use that (slightly adjusted) as the body of the email. I then title the email "Elementary Teaching Couple Application'

I don't know if it works. I sent out 50 odd resumes and got two interviews andsome interest from a couple of others that didn't go anywhere. We're both new to teaching, let alone international teaching, so I should be glad we got any bites at all.
PsyGuy

Both

Post by PsyGuy »

The body of your email should mirror your cover letter. You should have one cover letter (thanks to worldtraveler) for both of you with separate resumes (assuming their are vacancies for both of you). Your cover letter should ideally be in a PDF format (Word settings and language packs can mess up how your cover letter will look on someone elses computer).

Im a new junior admin this year, and honestly we dont print out the cover letters, they all read the same (your a great teacher, with a lot to offer, yeah we know). Most schools during recruitment time get SO MANY applications they dont have time to read a cover letter that just says basically how great you are.

There isnt a "best" resume template for international schools. Every principal/head likes different things. To give you a few pointers.

1) Set your paper format to A4 size paper (the standard used everywhere EXCEPT the USA). Avoid using too many tabs. They will look different on different computers, and may look less professional.

2) Use standard fonts (Times, Arial, Helvetica, etc) most computers are loaded with local language fonts, and they may have a very limited number of english fonts.

3) Preferably send PDF's documents (and avoid all the above).

4) Recruiters are primarily looking for two things: What you HAVE taught (experience) and what you CAN teach (degrees and certifications). Second to that are: skills (technology, etc), and extracurricular interest (sports and clubs).

5) Start your resume with whatever your strength is. If its your 5 degrees and 20 certifications start with that (under the title of "Education"). If its a decade of teaching experience start with that (under the title of "Experience"). Most of us at this stage in our career have more then a page, but recruiters really only have time for the first. So whatever is first on the resume should be your most impressive.

6) Dont use a skill summary or objective at the top of your resume, it waists valuable space and we know what your objective is (its the job your applying for). Also, dont bother with the "references available on request" line at the end of your resume, you better have references or you wouldnt be applying.

7) For each experience entry you should have no more then 1 bullet point per year of experience. Having a dozen accomplishments or descriptors for a one or two year job is just fluff. Either the accomplishments are trivial, or exaggerations. Each entry should have at a minimum, Dates, Name of Organization, and Location.

2010-2011, Acme International School, Nowhere/Fantasia

After that should be your job title, but "Teacher" looks boring and Repetitive, so Include your Grade and Subject

Teacher - IB Diploma, English A

Under that should be whatever achievements or descriptors you want, but keep it to a minimum, and unless you didnt do anything you can leave out the formula line such as below (Asterisks are preferable to bullet points, if your using word):

*Taught English Literature to 1st year Diploma Students. (BAD)
*Faculty Sponsor of the Writing Club. (OK)
*Completed Writers Workshop Training. (GOOD)
*98% IBO Exam Success Rate. (VERY GOOD)

8) You should have more emphasis on recent activities and less on distant activities, if you graduated 20 years a go, no one cares if you were on the honor roll.

9) So if the first 2 parts of your resume are Experience, and Education, the third part should be focused on skills such as foreign languages, technology, coaching skills, etc. and any other training qualifications or experiences you have that might be relevant to the position. Any other relevant information to teaching as well.

10) Include a photo with your resume but not ON your resume. Lastly make sure your contact information is at the top of the first page, specifically your email address, phone number (begin with 01, not just 1) and Skype name (most interviews are done by Skype if not in person, as opposed to a phone call. It will also help you discover whos really interested in you, if your suddenly asked to add a schools skype contact list.)
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Okay, this might seem like a super picky question, but does anyone know if it's best to send all your attachments (resume, letters of reference, etc) as one multi page document or attach them each separately to the email? I've been attaching them separately. But it just occured to me that it might be a major pain for these schools that get tons of applicants to open each separate attachment and print them out. And that it might save them time and be appreciated if they're all copied into one long attachment because they could open it up, hit print, and have everything. I'm all about making my contact convenient and easy for them. And increase the likelihood they actually look at all my information.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Try to put them in one document as a PDF.

For my past 2 successful applications, I sent a cover letter in the email and a 2 page PDF CV with an additional page of referees. They did not even ask for transcripts etc until after I was offered the job.

So I would not overdo the information - also keep the CV as current as possible. I have always been amazed when helping colleagues who are really bright and clever and seeing them mention every PD course they have done in the past 10 years, as well as things they did a decade ago. They end up with a cluttered CV that goes on for pages. Ive even been at schools where the applications of potential Directors are distributed and seen some of them do the same thing.

In my case, I only give schools information covering the last 10 years (3 schools) and my PD etc for the past 3-4 years. This helps keep the CV down to 2 pages. It also means I can give some details about what I did etc at that time.

I was interested to note Psyguy saying that the cover letter is often ignored. I use the body of the email to list things I can offer the school. It's almost the same as the sales package you may use when meeting a school at the sign ups in the job fair.

It may get ignored, but I'd recommend using one in the email, or placing it as the front page of your attached document. I know my most recent interviewer referred to it a couple of times in his questions ... so it was read.

Good luck with your applications.
PsyGuy

Clarification

Post by PsyGuy »

The cover letter gets read when you interview most likely but until you get to that stage its ignored. We had nearly 600 applications and only the final candidates who got interviews, had there cover letter read. I DIDNT want my post to suggest that you should NOT use a cover letter.

Your supporting documents should be separate from your cover letter and resume. Only send what the instructions in the school say. Typically they arent asked for until your offered a position, or sometimes before an interview.