Wages

pinkstar

Wages

Post by pinkstar »

edit
Last edited by pinkstar on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Depends on where in China and what your lifestyle is like? If you like to hit the bars and eat Western then you will save less. It can also be expensive to travel, both in and out of China. Its definitely doable though with the right choices.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Is this figure before or after tax? This is an important consideration, as the 30k becomes closer to 23-24k if it is a gross figure.

Your lifestyle would be a factor; nevertheless, I have lived in China and found $1000 a month more than adequate to meet my needs. If you then factor in holiday expenses, you should be able to save at least 10k a year. Again, so much depends on your lifestyle.

I do think 30k is at the low end of China salaries, but if you are just starting out, it is not a bad deal.

On the subject of tax, China has introduced a social security tax that expats have to pay - whether that money is returned on leaving China is still not 100% clear.

Make sure you have researched the tax situation at your prospective school - esp. if it is a for profit school. You don't want any nasty surprises after you've arrived.
PsyGuy

Loans

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends how much your loans are? With your airfare (I assume) and housing (utilities as well) paid, you should be able to live pretty well on $20K a year and bank/save the other $10K a year. If your loans are going to be $800 or more a month, assuming you maintained a typical western/american lifestyle youd break even each year. Closer to $1000 (and over) a month loan payments and your going to be looking at making lifestyle sacrifices.
marlow

Where Will You Be?

Post by marlow »

That number really will depend on where you live; Shanghai is widely considered to be the most expensive city in China, whereas smaller cities (and even Beijing) can be much cheaper.

Consider the whole package: if a school is giving you housing and airfare, then it isn't a bad starting salary if you're right out of college. If you do not have these amenities (not to mention having to pay your own health insurance) then that actually isn't a huge amount of money. The image of China is cheap, and if you live like a local, it is. However, if you want more of an expat life in a city like Shanghai, then your salary simply won't go as far.

The new "social security" tax is coming, but it isn't 100% definite for teachers yet.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Where Will You Be?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

If that's a gross salary, then it's on the low side. That translates to about 16k rmb a month. Minus tax that going to leave you around $2000 a month (unless the new tax kicks, which would be $150 less). Doable, but borderline low.
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

edit
Last edited by pinkstar on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="pinkstar"]Thank you for your replies. I am interviewing with this school later this month so I don't know that this is definitely the wage they would offer if I am lucky enough to be offered the position. But when I ask them about wage I would like to have some idea if their offer is good or not. So thanks for all your help so far.
The information on Search website for this school says $30000 (for 4 years experience) and 0% tax? They also claim you can save $20000? Perhaps they are being a bit optimistic? I am not a massive bar hopper although like a nice drink now and again. I would like to travel around the country as much as possible.
Edit- Forgot to say it is in Beijing and housing is provided[/quote]

You're looking at a good school there and a reasonably good package, given that the salary is gross and housing provided. I know some teachers there and one in particular who started this year and is really loving her job. The campus and facilities are quite nice and there is a good energy on campus and sufficient resources and technology. Definitely could do worse, especially for a first overseas post.
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

edit
Last edited by pinkstar on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Approval

Post by PsyGuy »

The school had a solid though not spectacular reputation. Youd be doing "OK", there is better but at your early stage of an international career its a good place to start.
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

edit