No Recruiting Fair

wistuco

No Recruiting Fair

Post by wistuco »

Is it becoming more common to find an international teaching position without attending a recruiting fair? I have a few skype interviews set up. I just need to decide by Friday if I will pay the fee for UNI. I have everthing else ready to go for UNI. Thanks for any input.
JISAlum

Re: No Recruiting Fair

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="wistuco"]Is it becoming more common to find an international teaching position without attending a recruiting fair? I have a few skype interviews set up. I just need to decide by Friday if I will pay the fee for UNI. I have everthing else ready to go for UNI. Thanks for any input.[/quote]

I am also waiting until later this week to send in payment- I want to see the results of the Bangkok fairs as much as possible. Although some teachers seem to get contacted outside of the fairs, I think it's a good idea to go to them in the end. Additionally you'll be exposed to a lot of great people at UNI, plus there are many jobs that 'pop' open there that are not advertised.
marlow

Jobs

Post by marlow »

Just an FYI: my administrator just returned from the first Bangkok fair and said there were 100 fewer candidates than last year, and the second fair wasn't shaping up too well in terms of numbers of candidates. Quote: "Both were teachers' fairs." I'd guess there will still be a lot of openings!
JISAlum

Re: Jobs

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="marlow"]Just an FYI: my administrator just returned from the first Bangkok fair and said there were 100 fewer candidates than last year, and the second fair wasn't shaping up too well in terms of numbers of candidates. Quote: "Both were teachers' fairs." I'd guess there will still be a lot of openings![/quote]

Well that’s encouraging... thanks for the information!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Yeah, really, glad to hear it! I've sent out about 20 letters of interest via Search's Web site and have heard nothing back. I'm envious of those of you who have interviews all set up. I suspect my age and long experience are working against me; otherwise, my credentials and references are solid.

I just checked ACS Tunis on Search and all their positions have been filled, apparently.
wistuco

Post by wistuco »

heyteach, I have some interviews set up, but I don't know if they will lead to anything or not. I am just hoping they will. But, Friday is coming soon so I may have to register for UNI anyway. If I get a job before, then I do.

I wish you the best.
jessd82

Post by jessd82 »

Well that is good to hear - I really can't afford a fair at all this year due to some set backs and needing to have savings in case I have to move, I'm not putting anything on credit cards anymore. I hope to hear back from some of the schools I've sent information to. Though I've only gotten back about 4, thanks for your e-mail we will keep you in consideration out of those.

Good luck everyone else :)
buffalofan

Re: Jobs

Post by buffalofan »

[quote="marlow"]Just an FYI: my administrator just returned from the first Bangkok fair and said there were 100 fewer candidates than last year, and the second fair wasn't shaping up too well in terms of numbers of candidates. Quote: "Both were teachers' fairs." I'd guess there will still be a lot of openings![/quote]

Thanks for posting this, sounds like good news! Hope the jobs will still be there at the Feb fairs.
fmbrande

pre conference interview/job

Post by fmbrande »

my wife and I have been offered a job via 3 skype interviews with a contract to review, noting has been signed however. I was wondeing if anyone has done this and weather or not you would advise going on to the fair ....... :?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Depends on if you are happy with the offer. We got both of our jobs this year via Skype interview and are very happy in China.

If you have concerns about the school or the package do some more research. The fact of it being an offer via Skype interview by itself should not concern you. If you feel that based on your experience and qualifications you could do much better in terms of school, package or location, then take the chance and go to a fair.