What would it take to lure you back to North America?

IBRULES

Post by IBRULES »

I'm sorry, Pikefish.

You just did ("play with me")
mathteach

Post by mathteach »

Ok boys, zip up your pants and lets get back to the topic.

I am contemplating going back to the States for a variety of reasons. Number one, I miss my family. My parents are getting older (very old) and I would like to spend as much time as I can with them now. I don’t want to think later on, “oh if I had only gone home earlier, ….â€
senator

Post by senator »

Good for you, Mathteach!
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Dear Senator,
I don't know why both you and IBRULES think this is a competition - in which one side is right and one side is wrong. Quite clearly there are different opinions based upon what is right for each individual. Please don't assume that either of you know what is best for me and my family.

Dear Mathteach,
You are exactly right - that is why I teach. I do believe I make a difference to the children that I teach and I believe that difference is as important to those who might be the leaders in the business world (or the political world) as for those who might be led. As you rightly pointed out, none of us went into this to make a fortune, but at the same time I do feel that I am adding to the quality of my family's life by allowing my children to experience different cultures. Holidays don't give that...and I can't pay for it any other way. Would that decision be the right one for all...no, and I would never be presumptuous enough to claim that it was.

By the way, there are some good schools in Europe that do offer a more unionised approach to collective bargaining.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

So when all of a sudden was it decided that international school kids didn't deserve a good education taught by the best teachers?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JISAlum

Re: I do both

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="RobSg"]I'm in the States now teaching, and will go overseas again in a few months to teach. This is my 38th year.

Rob[/quote]

Do you always go back to the same state, and where are headed?

Thanks-
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

Thanks- I'll have 12-13 years in the pension system of Illinois. If/when my wife and I go over again I hope to stay a while so our kids can have some time in one school. I hadn't considered schools that pay in SS. In IL, retired teachers can't get teacher pensions and social security at the same time- not sure if that's the same in other states. So essentially the overseas teaching years are 'lost' and you're on your own to create any type of retirement fund.

That's also not considering the fact that now that I've got 12-13 years experience many schools consider you to expensive to hire, IMHO.

Having said all that I still intend on going overseas as the rewards come from more than money. And at the rate the economy is going, we're all going to be working well into our 80's...

[quote="RobSg"]JISAlum, I'm across the border from Canada to be near friends in Montreal that I've known for years. I'm in a nice school, but not at the standards I've had in schools overseas.

As for where I'm going, I have a contract in front of me now that I will sign and send back. I'll share with you later. I'm not really after the high salary anymore, because I'm teaching now for a totally different reason. However, I like to be in schools that contribute to social security, which this school does. I'm trying to build up my social security benefits, and so I'm choosing schools that contribute to that (and Medicare).

Cheers.

Rob[/quote]
samuraiwriter

Post by samuraiwriter »

What would it take to lure me back to N.America to teach?

Answer:

Working four years in a couple Turkish private "schools" located in Istanbul. Beautiful city, but... anyway... LOL...

(More than that, I miss [u]home[/u], and everything that goes along with living in beautiful Sarasota, FL. Simple.)
hydrogonian

Post by hydrogonian »

[quote="senator"]
Let me give you the other side of the coin:

My wife and I returned to the U.S. (New England) in July 2008 after 6 years teaching high school math at an international school in China. I am now teaching math at a public high school in Massachusetts. While discipline and motivation issues arise more frequently than overseas, class sizes are a bit larger (INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS ALSO ARE INCREASING CLASS SIZES EVERY YEAR), and it takes more energy to get your students interested in the concepts, these are not more than any REAL TEACHER can handle. My belief is that unless you have spent some time in the trenches of public schools you are not a real teacher - sorry to all of the private school types.

I will save over $20,000 this year (which is more than a lot of the international school crowd will save or even earn), live in a beautiful home in a beautiful part of the country with trees, forests, ocean, and CLEAN AIR AND STREETS, and while I won't travel to Laos, Indonesia, Cambodia, or any of the other wonderful and exciting countries I saw while working overseas, I could afford to during the summer. Instead I will explore the greatest country on earth - the United States of America - and enjoy experiences that are every bit as exciting and stimulating as those my wife and I experienced while in Asia.

So my point is life is what you make it. REAL TEACHERS can teach and thrive anywhere. So if you choose to work overseas, Great. Just stop tearing down the American school system because we all know that the problems of the international school circuit are just as numerous as those of her U.S. counterpart.

Note: People who have not taught for at least 5 years in the public school system and have no basis for comparison need not reply or comment. Thank you.[/quote]

Im new to this forum and joined because Im interested in international teaching. But I have to comment right off the bat, that Ive never heard such nonsense come out of a professionals mouth in my life. All this talk about what makes a 'real' teacher and what does not. Seriously, your an adult professional who teaches children? God help them. This poster is subjugating many fine teachers out there to his self appointed and unwarranted status as a 'real' teacher. I went to an exclusive private high school on the east coast and I guarantee that probably close to 100% of the teachers in that school would teach circles around this guy/girl. Were my very highly trained and very effective (50% of my high school class went Ivy League) teachers not 'real' teachers because they didnt teach in public schools for 5 years? Are you a real teacher because you have experience controlling large unruly classrooms? Is that the difference? Your opinion is juvenile and reeks of insecurity or some other related psychological flaw. Your making me rethink ever sending my kids to public schools if the schools hire people of this caliber.

Your comments about the US also scream that you do not have strong critical thinking skills. Your job is to teach kids on the proper way to think, not to repeat your patriotic hyperbole. For example, the USA ranks 13 in quality of life in the world. Not #1. So, therefore, your statement is not supported by fact. Yes its a great country to live in, but to make statements and opinions that are contrary to supporting facts, and to be overly emotional to the point that it inhibits your ability to be objective, is not a good personal trait for a teacher. I wouldnt let my kids spend another day in your classroom if I was to read the post that you wrote.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
specialed

Post by specialed »

There a lot of pompous know-it-alls on this forum. They will lecture you as if you are stupid and gullible. International teaching, in my opinion, has been wonderful and I'm grateful for the opportunity. People who are unhappy try to make others unhappy with them - truly the bad apple does try to spoil the bunch.

A good teacher is a good teacher. It does not matter where this person teaches, or where this person started. If you are good, you are good. It is absurd to say that a good teacher is not a good teacher because they did not spend enough time at a certain school or in a certain place.

If you are happy teaching in the States/Canada/wherever - great. If you are happy teaching overseas - great. I guess this makes me stupid and gullible.

I guess I should lecture everyone on how you could not possibly know and how my years as whatever gives me ultimate knowledge...
hydrogonian

Post by hydrogonian »

[quote="ichiro"]dear hydrogonian,

The senator will probably be jumping all over your misuse of pronouns as evidence of your lack of teaching abilities.[/quote]

Ahh yes...I'll be sure to give all of my informal forum posts the Kings proofreading treatment next time..Thanks for the heads up :D (Note, the tone of this response is that Im laughing with you, not being bitter. That is of course unless you weren't joking. Then, Im still laughing.)

Or perhaps I have no hope, and I should apply to the next public school with an opening to begin the necessary path toward competency :roll: