Cambridge vs. San Francisco

nkraai

Cambridge vs. San Francisco

Post by nkraai »

So I asked for an invite to the Search Cambridge fair. My associate e-mailed back that I would be better suited for the San Fran fair. My concern is that going to San Fran would limit the amount of job openings and limit the schools I would possibly apply for.

I am realistic and not looking for elite or tier 1 schools necessarily, being as this is my first international teaching experience, but 250 schools vs. 75 sounds like a much better chance of landing a position no matter how competitive it is.

Plus, I personally know two of the principals at schools I am interested in who will only be in Cambridge and are looking forward to meeting me. Do I tell him that? Or make up a lame excuse why I can't make it to San Fran?

What are your thoughts out there? As a new teacher to the scene, (male,6yrs at the elementary level, MA, coaching experience) do I have any chance of landing a position in Cambridge or should I try my luck in San Fran? Yes, I am married and have a dependent that is not school age which throws things a little. However, my wife is a school counselor so if need be, we could become a "teaching couple" for the sake of a better school.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

250 is a lot better then 75, and that 75 is going to be even lower as school positions get filled and schools close out all their vacancies. The SF fair is the dump fair for newbies, its just leftovers, mainly ME and third tier schools.

Your associate had a good reason for recommending the SF fair, your likely to be more successful at it then at the Boston fair. A lone elementary teacher without PYP and dependents is a hard sell. Elementary has a lot of demand but its a saturated market, many schools save primary positions for teaching couples.

So if you want to go to the BOS fair your wife needs to enroll as well, and approach the hiring season as a teaching couple with her as the front card. School counselors had a LOT of demand this last year.

If its just convenient to you to go to BOS, you dont want to approach as a teaching couple, you can always attend the fair rogue (unofficially). The fair is just a hotel and people, you can email the principals and ask if they would like to meet the night before the fair and interview then. It happens all the time.
nkraai

Re: Comment

Post by nkraai »

[quote="PsyGuy"]250 is a lot better then 75, and that 75 is going to be even lower as school positions get filled and schools close out all their vacancies. The SF fair is the dump fair for newbies, its just leftovers, mainly ME and third tier schools.

Your associate had a good reason for recommending the SF fair, your likely to be more successful at it then at the Boston fair. A lone elementary teacher without PYP and dependents is a hard sell. Elementary has a lot of demand but its a saturated market, many schools save primary positions for teaching couples.

So if you want to go to the BOS fair your wife needs to enroll as well, and approach the hiring season as a teaching couple with her as the front card. School counselors had a LOT of demand this last year.

If its just convenient to you to go to BOS, you dont want to approach as a teaching couple, you can always attend the fair rogue (unofficially). The fair is just a hotel and people, you can email the principals and ask if they would like to meet the night before the fair and interview then. It happens all the time.[/quote

I was thinking that my wife would go rogue since I am already signed up with Search? Can I just tell him no, that I want to try my hand at the Cambridge fair regardless of the result?
PsychBean

Re: Comment

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="nkraai"][quote="PsyGuy"]250 is a lot better then 75, and that 75 is going to be even lower as school positions get filled and schools close out all their vacancies. The SF fair is the dump fair for newbies, its just leftovers, mainly ME and third tier schools.

If its just convenient to you to go to BOS, you dont want to approach as a teaching couple, you can always attend the fair rogue (unofficially). The fair is just a hotel and people, you can email the principals and ask if they would like to meet the night before the fair and interview then. It happens all the time.[/quote

I was thinking that my wife would go rogue since I am already signed up with Search? Can I just tell him no, that I want to try my hand at the Cambridge fair regardless of the result?[/quote]

Hmmm I was also advised to go to SF fair as well and or the Toronto fair. I was told the Boston fair was competitive and with little years exp (2+) I would fair better at Toronto and or SF. But I wanted to do boston because I can drive there and it would be more cost effective... But my advisor said that I can get an invite if I wanted one... I opted to go to Toronto but I am not going to go to SF. I am wondering if I should leave Boston option open?...
Last edited by PsychBean on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

Just curious for those of you that are sent to other fairs, what subject do you teach? I'm awaiting my response to my fair request for Cambridge and hoping teaching math will be enough to get me the invite.
PsychBean

Cambridge Fair

Post by PsychBean »

Sorry I am not a teacher I am a part of pupil personnel (psychologist). What subject do you teach?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Your wife can and would have to apply to Search as well, yes it's an extra $225 but as. Couple you'd be a very marketable team. No offense but she would really be carrying you two as a couple. Your wife can go with you to the fair, just ask the school recruiters if it's alright if she attend, and mention that she's a school counselor, they won't mind.

You can tell and ask your associate anything you want, they don't have to give you an invitation though. Especially if your a poor fit, they have an obligation to the schools as well to provide suitable candidates. It's not just your time but the recruiters and the other candidates time that's wasted as well.

The Toronto fair is a Junk fair and a waste of time. It's at the same time as Searches London fair, which is one of the 3 big fairs, and runs into the CIS London fair as well. Anyone who's anyone is going to be at the London fair. Going to the Torono fair, is like having to ride on the little yellow school bus.
SF is a better choose then Toronto, and if you can get the invite for BOS, then go there.