University of the People - Master in Education Leadership

Boomba

Re: University of the People - Master in Education Leadership

Post by Boomba »

Not sure to understand as I never mentioned a 120h fsl/fle certificate or diploma here.

If you're telling not to translate my degree as I do, I disagree : my degree is clearly equivalent to a bachelor and grant me access to a master, which I did afterwards.

You're right that, for some countries, a B.Ed implies that you're a fully trained teacher, nonetheless this is not the strict definition of a "Bachelor" of Education". If I had a "LicenCe in Maths", I would have had to translate it into "Bachelor of Maths" as its direct English equivalence.

I have worked in Asia, Africa and Europe and never had a problem. Actually, the apostilled translation given by a registered translator was "mastership" for which I disagree and find questionable to say the least.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Boomba

I read that you had a masters but also the description of your bachelors/first degree. The NACES evaluation is going to read that you have a three year degree which isnt equivalent to a four year bachelors/first degree. Thus a year of year masters will apply to your bachelors/first degree to get 4 years leaving you with essentially a bachelors +15 hours/1 year.
Thats what I think the NACS evaluation is going to come back as, and its going to raise some issues, though the "masterization" isnt going to be much of an issue. Its going to be the equivalence of the degree in years/time, whether an associates plus on year is a three years bachelors/first degree and what the major course of study is, and its not likely to be education.

Weird huh, but no, I dont mean you get a teaching credential and then an administrative (leadership) credential. The two are not always intrinsically linked. To get a standard (professional grade) leadership credential in DC you need a bachelors/first degree, 4 yrs of K12/KS experience (most commonly as a DT/IT) pass the SLLA exam (an ETS exam, same company as the Praxis) and complete a criminal background check. You need the experience but you dont need to be credentialed while getting that experience.
You dont even need the masters degree, you can get a provisional (entry grade) executive leadership credential from MA with just a basic pedagogy exam a bachelors/first degree and three years of K12/KS experience.

I passed the SLLA on my first attempt cold.
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

@PsyGuy

Allow me to answer directly in your message below:

I read that you had a masters but also the description of your bachelors/first degree. The NACES evaluation is going to read that you have a three year degree which isnt equivalent to a four year bachelors/first degree.
>>> I am of course no expert and there might be lots of mistakes in what I am writing here but I keep reading from various sources, more or less reliable, that a Licence = US Bachelor, in particular after the Bologna Declaration (European LMD Reform). Your text seems to imply a variation between 3 and 4-year bachelors in the US but I might be mistaken.
In addition, various people, including former high-school students who studied in both system told me that the last year of high-school in the US was the equivalent of the previous year in France. I am not trying to compare and say we are the best; focus might be different, curricula are various and theirs bring skills we don't (rhetoric, communication, etc.). However, it adds up on my first assumption.
I will soon send my scans to Spantran for an equivalence. We'll get the answer. (Translation of all the papers will be a pain... If someone knows a trick to save some money, please share. I will open a subject about it I think.)

Thus a year of year masters will apply to your bachelors/first degree to get 4 years leaving you with essentially a bachelors +15 hours/1 year.
>>> Please, explain what you mean by B. + 15h/y ?

Thats what I think the NACS evaluation is going to come back as, and its going to raise some issues, though the "masterization" isnt going to be much of an issue. Its going to be the equivalence of the degree in years/time, whether an associates plus on year is a three years bachelors/first degree and what the major course of study is, and its not likely to be education.
>>> I don't understand your sentences at all, especially this part "not likely to be education".

Weird huh, but no, I dont mean you get a teaching credential and then an administrative (leadership) credential. The two are not always intrinsically linked. To get a standard (professional grade) leadership credential in DC you need a bachelors/first degree, 4 yrs of K12/KS experience (most commonly as a DT/IT) pass the SLLA exam (an ETS exam, same company as the Praxis) and complete a criminal background check. You need the experience but you dont need to be credentialed while getting that experience.
You dont even need the masters degree, you can get a provisional (entry grade) executive leadership credential from MA with just a basic pedagogy exam a bachelors/first degree and three years of K12/KS experience.

>>> In my own words, to be sure to understand how it works and add some clarity. Correct me if I am wrong:
- In DC and MA (Massachusetts), I only need a bachelor (any??) but it must be first class. While being the major of promotion, I did not get a first degree Bachelor. Can one use his Master as an extra qualification?
- Experience with or without a teaching license still counts. US and International teaching too.
- Both for DC and MA:
*Are we talking about leadership or teaching experience here?
* Do the experience prior to the provisional/professional licenses count both for DC and MA?
- For DC: 4 years of XP + the SLLA test, similar to Praxis in its form.
- For MA: First, apply for a provisional leadership license, then complete or justify 3 years of XP.

I passed the SLLA on my first attempt cold.
>>> Encouraging!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Boomba

Generally this is true, many US Unis have adapted the position that a French Licence equals a US Bachelor. Your position is somewhat different though, you have an associates (in performing arts) and then one year of study at the bachelor level at which point you were conferred the Licence is social science. You then studied a Masters. I dont know if the NACES evaluation is going to say that you have enough upper division credit hours of study to equal a bachelors/first degree. If they dont, then one year of the masters work gets equivocated to a fourth year of bachelors/first degree study.
The Bologna process didnt really mean anything to US Unis.
Oh you can go ahead and say that, US SLL level is a bit of a joke, their HSs graduate students who cant read and don't know how to do arithmetic. Unis (particularly at State institutions) in the US are generally appalled with the level of remedial courses and hand holding entering 1st year students come in with. That doesnt matter though, they arent going to give or rate you a year of bachelors/first degree studies for your last year of secondary education.

In the US tertiary studies are measured in units called credit hours. One credit hour is equal to 15 hours of contact time or about 1 hour a week in a typical 16 week term (semester). A bachelors/first degree typically requires a minimum of 120 credit hours, and a masters no less than 30 credit hours (though most are closer to 36 credit hours). Thus a year of masters level coursework (a 2 year degree), is 15 credit hours. So a BA+15 means a bachelors/first degree plus 1 year of graduate (masters) study.

I think your bachelor is going to be deemed insufficient and your going to lose a year of the masters study to make the bachelors/first degree equivalent to a US 4 year bachelors/first degree. That bachelors is going to be in something other than education and you wont have a finished education masters. I will be really happy if Im wrong though.

In DC you need a Masters, in MA you only need a bachelors/first degree.

No it doesnt need to be a first class honors degree, an ordinary degree is fine. A first degree just means a course of study and conferment of a degree that completes undergraduate level study.

Kind of a grey area, but as long as the experience was obtained in an accredited IS/DS at the K12/KS level than its likely to be accepted, regardless of whether or not you have or had a professional edu credential.

It doesnt matter if the experience is teaching or leadership or some other professional role, as long as it was FT (Full Time) and professional level at a minimum being TOR (Teacher Of Record) than its fine. You cant use substitute/relief/supply teaching or TA/A (Teaching Assistant/Aid) experience.

DC is a Masters, 4 year experience and passing the SLLA exam for the standard (professional grade) leadership credential.

MA is a Bachelors, 3 years experience, and the MTEL communication literacy exam. This is for the provisional (entry grade) superintendent credential. You must have the three years experience prior to applying.
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

Hello

Thank you for your kind help and articulated answer. ( I would also thank you in the other topics we participated in but I'll do once for all here!)
I doubled checked the ECTS conversion. I was right for the ratio CH/ECTS but completely wrong about the equivalence between real hours and ECTS as I thought it was 1:1. Thanks for correcting me.

After your explanations, I can only agree with your explanation but hope that the NACES agency will prove you wrong! ;)

Meanwhile, I continue to look for a good leadership training. I see that 6 months certificates called post-master or graduate certificate are relatively cheap, require a precious internship and allow experienced teachers to access them as long as there possess a master.
At the moment, I am looking for the marketability of such certificates.

Also, I posted here and asked how to avoid to translate degrees several times for multiple English speaking countries. Unfortunately, I had no answer at the moment. Would you please have a suggestion?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7586
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

Following my question in another topic, I prefer to ask here for clarity (there is my degrees' description above), do you think I qualify for the MA licensure in order to move it to HI?
I am mostly concerned about the bachelor degree/ITT as the MA website just says "Submission of an official transcript verifying a bachelor's or a master's degree".

In addition of my degrees' curriculum, here is my teaching experience (all overseas):
- UK - IGCSE 1 year
- Ontario: 2 years
- IB MYP: one year
Other schools/years were not recognized by the main English curricula.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Boomba

I hope the NACES evaluation works out in your favor.

As far as a certificate goes one piece of paper is the same as another piece of paper. Where you can realize value is having the certificate attached to some organization with status/prestige. You could print out a leadership certificate for yourself with fancy graphics and a foil seal, and all kinds of things, there isnt a difference between that and some other entity that lacks regulatory authority doing the same. What would have value is if that entity was something like Harvard (which offers a 4 course educational leadership certificate thats about 6 months long, costs about USD$2K and requires no field work). On one side of the coin its not a credential, its less than an Ed.Ld Masters. On the other side its from Harvard and its inscribed in School Management and Leadership. You could get some utility out of that, would it be enough for what you want to accomplish, maybe, maybe not.

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/ppe/program ... leadership

Thats going to be the issue, anything less than a Masters in Ed.Ld and/or a Ed.Ld credential is going to provide less utility, its, does the lessor utility work enough for you. Its probably going to work better to getting the keys to some small (under 200 students), lower third tier IS, where ownership is some affluent business guys hobby for his wife. Where that Harvard certificate will look really nice on the ISs wall and in its advertising where "Boomba received his certificate in School Management and Leadership from the prestigious Harvard University" is marketable and likely more so than "Boomba possesses an administrative certificate from the District of Columbia".

You look at another organization PTC (Principals Training Center) offers an Ed.Ld certificate by competing 4 courses and an advance certificate by completing 8, but its just a piece of paper. PTC has a lot of members and past participants and those leaders may very well be hiring you for a position. That may have some value, but is the value going to be enough for your goals, I dont know.

https://www.theptc.org/ptc-certificate/

I did not have a response to your other posting.