PYP schools where math taught by a different teacher?

PYP schools where math taught by a different teacher?

Postby DomeVet » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:36 pm

I enjoy teaching PYP Units of Inquiry and ELA but I do not enjoy teaching math as much. Does anyone know of countries or schools where there is one teacher teaching the math and another teaching the other areas of study to PYP students. I did work at one school which functioned like this in Indonesia and another in Korea.
DomeVet

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:16 am

Postby secondplace » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Under the new PYP guidelines this is possible, but I don't know of any schools doing it right now.

I suspect that it will be a practice more likely to occur in national system schools in places like China, although Singapore might also be a place it could get traction. Not sure many, any, international schools will switch to this.
secondplace

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Postby Tyshine » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 am

I know one school in China that operates that way. Its in Suzhou.
Tyshine

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Postby vandsmith » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:04 am

there are schools that do this but it isn't something set in stone or part of a policy. more just an agreement among grade level teachers - especially if one teacher is stronger in one area than another, they might decide to do the math lessons and the other teacher might do the writing, for example.

it's definitely not common though, and i think it would really affect your overall development. but yes, some do.

v.
vandsmith

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:16 am

Postby seinfeld » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:18 am

Gems world academy in Dubai does it.
seinfeld

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:47 pm

Respose

Postby PsyGuy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:46 am

A number of ISs. Its more common to see co-taught homerooms at primary where one IT does social studies and literature and the other IT does maths and science, semi departmentalized. As opposed to full departmentalized where most if not all subjects are taught by specialist ITs. This is more common at upper primary than lower primary or whole IS.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby grdwdgrrrl » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:58 pm

I would support it. My kids went to a PYP school and the math teaching was a bit anemic. In year 7, kids from a more National curriculum school entered with much higher math skills, it was talked of all the time.
grdwdgrrrl

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Postby SenseiMamma » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:08 pm

I always felt PYP math was the weak point. There was a big school in Singapore that dropped the PYP specifically because of the math. I just checked and UWCSEA also dropped PYP for several reasons.
SenseiMamma

Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:56 am

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:00 pm

Maths has always been a weak point for the IB. Maths is the only subject area that has a remedial option at DIP.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests