Follow-up Emails/Application Response Wait Time

Follow-up Emails/Application Response Wait Time

Postby ScottishLoon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:45 am

Hello,

I recently applied for a position at an international school and I received an automated email saying they would respond as soon as possible after my application has been screened. There was no end date for applications but their Facebook page said they are now planning for the 2020/21 year. I'm qualified for the position but It's been a week and I've not heard anything else. Their website says they respond whether you have been successful or not.

What are the typical response times to job applications by international schools?

Is it worth sending a follow up email to HR?

Thanks in advance.
ScottishLoon

Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 am

Postby wrldtrvlr123 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:25 am

It's not very helpful, but the answer is it varies wildly, from hours to never. It's impossible to know what stage of recruitment the school is at, whether the position is definitely open, whether they have someone in mind already, whether they actually do respond to all candidates, etc.

When in doubt, feel free to follow up with the school (but that may or may not get a useful response. The sad truth is that many schools and admin types are not the best at communication, follow through etc., unless they really want you.
wrldtrvlr123

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:59 am
Location: Japan

Postby Heliotrope » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:06 pm

You're a bit too optimistic to expect them to respond within a week.
Some schools might, but the majority won't, especially at this stage in the recruiting season.
Heliotrope

Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Postby expatscot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:44 am

Chances are, you won't hear unless they offer you an interview. Most international schools are really bad at communicating how long to expect.
expatscot

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:26 am

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests