Search Associates Agreement

Search Associates Agreement

Postby sean_d » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:11 am

Hi!
I am considering joining Search Associates, for the recruitment fairs. But I just read that the membership is for 3 years or until I find a job.
I don't get it: if I find a job in 1 month, then the membership is not valid anymore??? What happens with the rest of the 3 years?

If anyone can help about that, appreciate it!
sean_d

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:48 am

Postby Doctor » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:45 am

After your contract ends, you have to reapply to get reactivated and start searching again.
Doctor

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 am

Postby sid » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:58 am

The point of a membership is to find a job. Find one, you don’t need the membership anymore. And if you’ve been searching for three years with no results, perhaps you’ve had good value.
Just sign up again when you’re ready.
sid

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:44 am

Postby vandsmith » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:32 pm

If you are based in, or maybe even seem to be based in, the uk, it is free for you to join search.
The others have it correct.

Good luck!

v.
vandsmith

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:16 am

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:34 pm

This is correct. The SA membership is valid until you find "A" job or three years whichever comes first. You can not register, get an appointment your first year, and then use the same registration again a year later (into your second year of your contract) to find another appointment. The registration membership fee is good/valid for finding one job appointment. After you are appointed if there is any remaining length of time on the three year membership it is forfeited. This assumes you close your account or your account is closed upon appointment.
If you are able to register through the UK branch of SA there is no registration fee.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby sean_d » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks for the kind replies!!!

So: I activate my account (I pay, not from UK)
I find a job, 1 year contract.
I deactivate my account
After one year, I activate again: do I have to pay for the 2 years that I had left?

Thanks a lot!
sean_d

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:48 am

Postby PsyGuy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:32 am

@sean_d

1) You register with SA and pay your fee.
2) You find a job with a one year contract.
3) Your account is deactivated.
4) Yes, to reactivate your account again you have to pay the full registration fee again. You will then get another 3 years of access to find your next job appointment.
The two years you had left under the previous membership registration is forfeited once you have a contract and job.

You dont have to actually be in the UK you just have to register convincingly with one of the UK SA offices. SA will never send you anything by post/mail.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby Illiane_Blues » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:54 am

First time I got a job through Search I was disappointed & surprised when I couldn't access the database anymore after I got it but I understand the logic behind it.
Illiane_Blues

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Postby shadowjack » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:38 am

Just so you know - I am not active on Search right now. But as my admins or directors come and go, I get them to add their references with personal email before they do go, so it is fresh and so I have it. When I reactivate, I get my current admin/director to add their reference. You do not need an active account to do this. I also solicit parent references through the years so that it is never a one off.

It makes recruiting, when I do decide to look, so much easier.

But yeah - get a job, lose the three years. Decide to stay for a year, I think they deactivate, but you get to reactivate within the three year period. Ask your associate.

Postby shadowjack » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 am

sean_d wrote:
> Thanks for the kind replies!!!
> So: I activate my account (I pay, not from UK)
> I find a job, 1 year contract.
> I deactivate my account
> After one year, I activate again: do I have to pay for the 2 years that I
> had left?
> Thanks a lot!

Sean_d - I'd never work for a school that offers a one-year contract. Almost all contracts are two years. I'd also never work for a school (like that basic one in Asia) that offers a three-year contract. Give me two - not chained, can't be dumped after one when new admin comes in and wants friends around, and I can choose.

Postby expatscot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 am

I think - though I accept I may be wrong - that the account is only deactivated for job search purposes. So if you reactivate after your first year of a two year contract in order to look for a new job, then your membership would simply carry over.

I remember reading this somewhere on the site but since (a) I'm from the UK and (b) I've stayed longer than two years, I didn't really pay attention to it.
expatscot

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:26 am

Postby shadowjack » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 am

UK = free. Every other country = pay. Get the job? Mission accomplished. Searching again? Pay. It's an service and once you've been served, the service is finished. it's not a buffet.

I find it best for the data base and linking with spousal searches too to quickly bring up all schools with that combo.

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests