Astana or Almaty?

Astana or Almaty?

Postby Helen Back » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:16 am

Thinking about applying to a couple of schools. Thoughts on which one is better for a family of 4 mostly based on lifestyle?
Helen Back

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:04 am

Almaty, well to be precise:

Young, Single IT: Almaty
Older, Single IT: Almaty
IT Couple: Almaty
IT Couple, with 1 Child: Almaty
IT Couple with 2 Children: Almaty

About the only scenario where Astana would be a stronger candidate is a single IT that really wants to save every last bit of coin and has poor impulse control or a large IT family as Astana tends to have a less expensive lifestyle. Its not that you cant spend coin in Astana, its just not as convenient.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby Heliotrope » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 am

I haven't been myself, but I have heard a lot of people being pretty enthusiast about Almaty, and quite the opposite about Astana. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that like Astana as well.

Have a read here:
Almaty: https://www.talesmag.com/real-post-repo ... tan/almaty
Astana: https://www.talesmag.com/real-post-repo ... tan/astana

These aren't reports from teachers though. Most are written by US diplomats or their spouses, so their experience might be different in some respects.
But it seems Astana isn't all that bad, but I would definitely prefer Almaty myself if I had to choose.
I've read that a good number of Kazachstani that were forced to move to Astana for work try to go back to Almaty for weekends and holidays.
Heliotrope

Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Postby shadowjack » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:13 pm

AND THE WINNER IIIIIIISSSSSSS.... ALMATY!

shadowjack

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

Postby Helen Back » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:15 am

Thank you all.
And a particular thank you to Shadowjack for your continued support for well over a decade. I dont know why you do it, but it is appreciated.
Helen Back

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Postby shadowjack » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:35 am

Well, there was our chance encounter at the airport after knowing each other only online for what? 8 years by that point? LOL
shadowjack

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests