What PD shall I got for with a BA and a PGCEi?

What PD shall I got for with a BA and a PGCEi?

Postby Elysium82 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 am

Hey guys,

This is a bit of a vague question, but I would like to improve my CV with an online course.

I am an IB teacher (English/Spanish) with a BA in languages and a PGCEi.

I have a budget of 600 euros to do a PD course online.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? If yes, please share your experience.

Cheers.
Elysium82

Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 am

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:06 pm

One of your first options would be to use that coin to obtain a credential, there are several options available to you Connecticut (CT) and Hawaii (HI) could potentially result in getting a credential that you can use for QTS, you would still be eligible to get a Massachusetts (MA) provisional credential. To take the 3 exams you would have to travel to MA (the world language exams are only offered during a very narrow window and only at specific testing sites in MA). The combined fees for all three (Spanish, French and Communication Literacy) would be USD$390, the application fee for Spanish and French would be another USD$125. You would also need to get an NACES evaluation of your qualifications (Bachelors and PGCEi) and the cost varies depending on the provider you use. You would have to ensure your Is would let you apply the PD funds towards those costs, which would leave you the travel to the USA (to take the exams) on your own coin.

Second, Would be looking at a Masters program. The cheapest program is University of the People (UPe) they have an IB supported M.Ed in Teaching that total cost is USD$2400, that €600 would pay for three courses which you could spread out over the year, three terms (UPe has 5, 8 week terms in a year) after 4 years you would have the program completed.

Third, EdX offers a number of professional certificates, micro masters and X-seriese courses. The micro masters are a little above your PD cap, but they have a professional certificate program in Ed.Ld thats three courses and about USD$450.

Fourth, You could take another IB workshop you can find online workshops around USD$450.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Re: What PD shall I got for with a BA and a PGCEi?

Postby Elysium82 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:38 am

Hey Psyguy,

Thanks a lot for the information.

At this stage the teaching credential is not vital to me. It is mainly for those who want to teach at state schools and I am not planning to do so. The MA is a good idea. However, I am not planning to work as a leader, it might be a bit of an overkill.

I think I'll do the IB Certificate course online. It is way over my PD budget, but I dont have to do all the modules in 1 year.

Then again...thanks a lot for keeping teachers informed.
Elysium82

Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 am

Re: What PD shall I got for with a BA and a PGCEi?

Postby fine dude » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:35 am

Talk to veteran colleagues at your school and watch them perform.
Plan a job-alike session with like-minded colleagues in your city / country.
Read books.

P.S. Expensive keynote speaker workshops are overrated.
fine dude

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests