Doubling up on Recruitment agencies

Doubling up on Recruitment agencies

Postby ChemEd » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:04 am

I am in the process of resigning from my current IS and looking at new positions that are becoming available. I am currently registered on ISS-Schrole and GRC. My colleague mentioned that my position has already been posted on Search (not a problem as I indicated that I was likely to leave and my school wants a jump start on applicants if I do resign). My question is, is there enough overlap in the recruitment agencies that I'll see most of the available positions or should I also register with Search? My field is IB chemistry if anyone thinks that matters.
ChemEd

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Postby sid » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:49 am

DP Chem, or IB Chem? You might interview with a hardliner like me who pedantically insists that the IB starts with 3 year old students, whose idea of chemistry is discovering that mixing soap and water makes bubbles.
Anyway... I always double up. There is plenty of overlap among the agencies, but if your dream job is only listed with Search, you'll never even know that you missed your shot.
sid

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:44 am

Postby interteach » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:54 am

I think it depends on the scope of your search. If you have a list of schools that aren't covered by ISS and GRC, you can regularly check those schools to see if they have vacancies and most-likely apply directly.

If you're looking to do the broadest possible search, you may want to sign up with Search - although that's what I might have done in the first place if I was looking to do a very wide search.

On the other hand (I realize I'm growing extra hands here) if you've already been a Search candidate and you have some excellent recommendations already on file that might be added along with some of your current ones, then it might make sense to sign up with them.
interteach

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:36 am

The broader your job search the more benefit a premium recruiting agency can be and with a real broad search, if you ant to capture the most ISs and their relevant vacancies it wouldnt be unwise to register for both considering the barriers and cost are minimal.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby GrumblesMcGee » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:24 am

If you want to maximize your chances of finding the best job (i.e. "FOMO"), sure, register with as many agencies as you can. There is a clear tradeoff (time, registration expense, fair attendance costs, burdening your references a little more) and diminishing returns (the number of jobs you're going to find on through a third agency is relatively low). As a previous comment mentioned, if you're looking at specific schools, you can typically stalk their web sites and apply directly.

Some folks here have noticed that I am no fan of Search, as I think the cost is too high and the service they provide is deceptively articulated at best. But if you're solely looking out for the maximum chance of landing the job you want, there's utility in being with them.

I am happy to see you're with GRC. I think they can make inroads and shake things up a bit if enough people support them.
GrumblesMcGee

Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests