Location, Location, Location!

Location, Location, Location!

Postby dragonguy » Thu May 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Do we have a detailed list for specifics about the locations of schools? Similar to our ever evolving Top Tier list, and our list on what subjects are in the highest demand, LOL.

Yes, I know how to use Google Maps, I’m not talking about that and yes, there is some specific info in the paid member forum, but it’s sporadic and sometimes tricky to find, and it would take forever to read and dig all that info up on all the schools. The info on Search is pretty vague as well.

I’m looking for details….how long does it take to get to the airport and what’s the best way to get there? What are the nearby fitness options? Best cafes, restaurants, bars, nightlife in the area? What’s the dating scene? Details on location transportation? Get a car or motorbike? Where do most of the staff choose to live, couples? Couples with kids? Singles? Cost of living? Other “lifestyle” info. Pros and cons about the location.

This is cool to share this info in the open forum, correct?

I’m mostly interested in Tier 1 and 2 schools in Europe, Asia, and Latin America but I’m sure there’s lots of educators out there interested in other regions and schools.

I’m not looking for info about admin, salary/benefits, the politics of the school, facilities, etc. Straight up, details about location, location, location!
dragonguy

Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Postby Thames Pirate » Fri May 17, 2019 5:41 am

Honestly, nobody has all that information unless they have worked at a school or researched it extensively. Putting it on here removes some of the anonymity. I don't know that you will get a lot of responses, especially if you are just looking for someone else to do the research you could do yourself.

When we are interested in schools, we use Google Maps and other searches to find the information that most interests us. The availability and prices of horse boarding, lessons, and competitions is an example of something I look up that is not useful info here--but nightlife is not my scene. I don't store the information, though. We might strike a school off our list, but if it's all within our acceptable levels (and acceptable is different for each person and even for us varies from city to city) we don't revisit the information.

Your best bet is doing your own research once you have narrowed down your list of cities, schools, etc.

Sorry that isn't as useful as you had hoped. Maybe some people will be able to give you at least a bit of information. Perhaps if you narrow down the request and name specific schools or cities? Someone might be willing to google it for you, particularly if they might be interested in that school.
Thames Pirate

Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am

Postby Heliotrope » Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 am

What @Thames Pirate says.

I sometimes use this website to read about cities if a good school has an opening but I don't know enough about the city it's located in. Most reviews are by embassy staff, but it will nevertheless give you a sense of the different cities, and how it is to live there as an expat: https://www.talesmag.com/real-post-reports/all
They also have a section where parents review schools btw (Real School reports).

Also, https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ is a good website for cost of living and other data.
Heliotrope

Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 pm

I concur with the previous contributors. What youre really looking for is a combination of a cost of living calculator, a travel wiki and a regional expats site for the destination. Soliciting all of that as a global index in one forum topic, I dont see that happening and even if some contributors started that it would get buried pretty quickly.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby Illiane_Blues » Mon May 20, 2019 2:30 am

Yes, almost everything can be found online if you take the time, and hit the sources @Heliotrope provided in his reply, along with some expat Facebook groups for specific cities when your search narrows and you're looking at one or two specific cities.

What might be mildly interesting though is to discuss some cities where the location of the IS makes accepting a job there less appealing.

For example, there's an IS in Istanbul that I've heard good things about, but the commute takes most teachers an hour each way because it's so far out.

Also, there's a small school in Japan in the middle of nowhere (Karuizawa) that sounds like a good school with decent pay, but too far from anywhere interesting, unless you enjoy hiking.

But not sure if there are many ISs where the location within the city/country would deter ITs, assuming the city/country itself isn't the real deterrent.
Illiane_Blues

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Postby Heliotrope » Mon May 20, 2019 2:37 am

There's a very good IS in Beijing that is so far from downtown that I wouldn't want to work there, apart from the air pollution concerns which are reason enough not to go there.
Heliotrope

Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Postby MartElla » Mon May 20, 2019 5:27 am

Ideal situation = tier 1 package, cheap country.

Savings = Gold
Quality of school = Gold
Travel Opportunities = Gold

There's not many gold ticket appointments in the world. It's where you can save money, enjoy your work and enjoy great travel opportunities.

Start the list.
MartElla

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:15 pm
Location: A long way from home

Postby Thames Pirate » Mon May 20, 2019 5:33 am

Assuming those are the things that are important to you.

For some, savings are secondary to being near family or where they speak the language. For some, travel is secondary to certain lifestyle choices.

I do think we can agree that quality of school is important.
Thames Pirate

Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 19 guests