Search References Questions

Search References Questions

Postby IE_sciteacher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Hello,

I've searched the forum to find the answer but came up empty. This is all for preparation next year.

QUESTION 1
I am a Head of Department, as one of my references on Search would it be useful to have a colleague in my department complete a reference? I have leadership, parents and what not already but was thinking about somebody who could talk to my effectiveness of leading a department.

If yes, would I request a teaching or a leadership reference from them via Search?

QUESTION 2
If I am looking for leadership or teaching positions next year, I should have references for my teaching and my leadership, correct? They are both categories of references you can select on Search. Would it be reasonable to have one referee fill out two references, one from each perspective? This person is an MYP Coordinator and the Assistant Principal.

Thanks
IE_sciteacher

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:05 pm

Re: Search References Questions

Postby sid » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:49 am

As a recruiter, I recommend against having colleagues submit references. They aren't generally taken seriously, so a good one won't help you, but if it happens to be bad, that counts against you.

As for getting people to submit 2 references, you shouldn't have to. You'll have teaching references on file from past jobs, and possibly some from the current one. Get leadership ones from people in your current school who haven't already submitted.

Good luck.
sid

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:44 am

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am

No, I concur with @Sid colleague and peer references arent worth very much, and thats assuming they are good. As an HOD you really dont have subordinates (youre not senior leadership as an HOD) and those dont have much value either.

No, dont have them complete two references, just have the individual do one leadership reference and address in the notes and your reference your teaching and leadership qualities.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], PsyGuy, TonyTiger680 and 10 guests