ISTE Certification. Worth the Money?

ISTE Certification. Worth the Money?

Postby Helen Back » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 am

Is the ISTE teacher certification worth doing for someone who would like to transfer into an elementary or middle school edtech position? It's kinda pricey at $1150. I've being doing other cheap or free courses from Adobe and Google and design thinking courses. Thoughts? I'm ok with paying, I just want to know if it's worth it. Probably heading to Search Bangkok in January 2020.
Helen Back

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: ISTE Certification. Worth the Money?

Postby shadowjack » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:47 pm

It won't really get you anything in the big scheme of things. It's a bauble that might make the difference in a close run, but you don't have the role experience at a school that would recognize it. Better is to be familiar with the ISTE student, educator and Admin NETS and go from there.

Training? Better to be a Google or Office 365 expert/trainer.
shadowjack

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:21 pm

I concur with @SJ, ISTE is something that someone already in an Ed.T position submits to their IS for PD. "Bauble" is a perfect descriptor, where your tied for a position and the ISTE bauble is better than someone elses bauble or you have one more bauble than they do. Unless you put a lot of weight in trivial tie breakers than it wouldnt be worth it doing yourself, not for the certificate. If youre into their program though or you personally would value the course than its worth whatever you think its worth to you.

Better options would be sticking with Google, Apple, MSN educator training and adding a technology or CSCI DT/IT endorsement to your credential.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Re: ISTE Certification. Worth the Money?

Postby Picabo77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:43 pm

What's a CSCI endorsement? I've recently also been considering the ISTE certification and wondering if it's worth it. I've also been looking into post grad degree in ed tech. CSCI? Ed Tech post grad?
Picabo77

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:21 am

Postby PsyGuy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:24 am

@Picabo77

CSCI = Computer Science, meaning for a US IT/DT to add an endorsement or obtain a Computer Science credential such as the Florida K-12 or DC 7-12 Computer Science credential.

Degree qualifications look nice on resumes, they are even better if youre actually going to learn something during the education.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests