Advice on References

Advice on References

Postby jjbombard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:08 pm

As I prepare for the end of a contract I am getting my references in order. I need to add three new references to the search agency I am using. I have one from my first international position. My issue is this, at my current school neither the head of school or principal has ever observed me in the classroom for more than 5 minutes (I've been at the school almost 3 years now). I know I could get good, accurate references from my IB coordinator and the assistant principal but how does that look not having a more senior administrator write the letter? Do I ask anyway knowing that it will be vague on specifics relating to teaching style? Suggestions?
jjbombard

Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Re: Advice on References

Postby shadowjack » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Most agencies use a questionnaire and there is not a lot of anecdotal reporting. It is better, if you are on good terms with your director, to have her or him do a reference, along with your principal. Observation isn't necessary, although at a good school you ARE observed.
shadowjack

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Agencies generally use a survey method for gathering reference data (its makes the data easier to store and manage), but youre going to want traditional letters anyway and you have to ask for one from your executive leadership (whether the title is HOS, or director, etc.). if you dont than: 1) It may convey that your trying to hide something. 2) Executive leadership is going to know whatever is going on, even the scandalous stuff, and thats what an IS has to be cautious about, they need to know there isnt anything horrid that happened. If there isnt a reference from executive leadership someone has to call or send an email asking. 3) Even if your executive leadership has only seen you for 5 minutes they either know the aggregate of your performance from other sources, or they can put them together relatively quickly to get a picture of what type of employee and IT you were.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 20 guests