Does a good IS care what your degree is in?

Does a good IS care what your degree is in?

Postby Zclcaka » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi all, new to the forum
I want to get into an IS in SE Asia, I have a mechanical engineering degree and have been teaching maths for a few years. I can teach A levels maths and even further math (which I think it is equivalent to IB HL maths). Is it necessary to have a maths degree, or is experience enough- even for top tier school?
Thanks

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:29 am

Your experience and background is just fine for teaching secondary maths in IE. You will have no problem with marketability. You are actually better off than a 'pure' maths degree IT, as your background can potentially qualify you for physics and engineering or other STEM subjects.

Postby shadylane » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:52 am

The issue won't be the schools, but rather some countries. In order to get a work permit in some countries you need a degree in the subject you're teaching. Whether an engineering degree would be considered acceptable might depend on a range of factors, which might include what the person processing the paperwork has had for breakfast that morning.
shadylane

Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:11 am
Location: SE Asia

Discussion

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:58 am

While @shadylane may technically be correct, and the idiosyncrasy could be as simple as what mood an immigration offer is in, an IS will likely know whats going on and will just hire you to teach engineering on the contract for immigration and then assign you to maths courses.

Postby shadylane » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:35 am

Yes, that is one way to get around it. A brown envelope stuffed with cash or free places at the school for the children of senior officials are two other methods I've also seen work. Sometimes, however, if the political winds are blowing in the wrong direction then nothing will work. But as Psyguy points out, the school will likely know and so won't offer you a position even if they would like to.
shadylane

Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:11 am
Location: SE Asia

Postby Zclcaka » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:32 am

That is a relief..
Since I want to teach specifically in Thailand and Vietnam, will I be fine? From my research it seems as though they don't have visa requirements, but could someone confirm this?
Thanks

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:19 pm

@Zclcaka

You ill be fine for Thailand and Vietnam.

Postby National » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Vietnam does have visa requirements and it can be quite variable how they are applied. If the school has a good relationship with the authorities, they can be less stringently applied.

Basic requirements are at least 3 years teaching experience and teaching certification (although I've seen first year teachers get visas at a school run by connected Vietnamese). They seem to be more concerned about the education degree than the subject degree. If you have a degree that states education, you don't have to include your certification. If you have a subject area degree you have to show your certification as well.

I wouldn't think an engineering degree with teaching certification would create a problem.
National

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:00 am

Discussion

Postby PsyGuy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:39 am

@Zclcaka

You didnt mention it specifically but I assume you have been teaching with some kind of credential such as QTS. I dont disagree with @National, based on your description of your qualifications you wont have a problem with Vietnam or Thailand.

Postby Zclcaka » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks a lot everyone for your contributions, great community here.

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests