When to start looking?

When to start looking?

Postby Doctor » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:19 pm

I'm eager to get started on finding a job for the 2019/2020 school year but I don't want to seem too eager or possibly annoy a head who is focused on the 2018/2019 school year.

When is the soonest I should start sending around resumes?
Doctor

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 am

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:52 am

When you find an appropriate vacancy advertised for the AY you are interested in. Cold/Blind applications are rarely worth the time and effort. Those will start coming out for classroom appointments in October.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Re: When to start looking?

Postby eion_padraig » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:05 pm

If you know people working at international schools that you want to apply to for jobs, they may be aware that their colleagues are planning on moving on after this year. So you may want to reach out to friends to see if they know of positions that are likely to open up at their schools. Now, people can change their minds, but I know of some folks who have openly said this is going to be their last year at our school. That would allow you to research the school and prepare application material this summer for when the job is actually posted.

But most often the earliest these jobs will be posted will be in September/October will more being posted in November and onwards. Different schools/regions have different deadlines for when people have to announce they are not returning. My two schools required you to tell them in late November.

Good luck

Eion
eion_padraig

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Return to Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests