Living On Campus

Spawnboy99

Living On Campus

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Anybody willing to share their experiences living in Staff Accommodation which is on the school campus. While this is free accommodation and you don't need to pay for bills etc, how was one experience? I have watched a video on Youtube and does very much feel like you are trapped (no balcony, staff living above, below, and next to) as a family having our own space to relax and unwind is important and 24/7 having staff around us, just feels like we are living in a prison.

Would be great to hear from people that have lived in this situation and find out what was the +ve and -ve experiences people had. No option for an accommodation allowance at present, this will only change as move staff join and then staff accommodation becomes less available. Also, all the old crew staff would get the first choice when that situation presents itself (which I can understand and agree to)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I wouldnt recommend it. There are a bunch of negatives and very few positives;

Negatives:
1) You always have to be on. Outside of your apartment door every interaction is a work interaction.
2) You cant escape work. If leadership needs you they know right where to go and its right next door.
3) Youre not a resident dealing with a property manager in terms of the customer merchant relationship. Youre an employee whining when something breaks.
4) If things get ugly you dont have any breathing space that includes a place to live. Your IS will terminate your occupancy immediately.
5) You dont have a say over style, layout, or quality of construction, neighbors, in where you live. Its a one choice take it or leave it option.
6) Depending on the ISs location of their residence you could be stuck in an isolated location. You will feel even more like you are living in a bubble.

Positives:
1) Your daily commute is easy, an advantage if your a late riser.
Spawnboy99

Re: Living On Campus

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Thanks @PsyGuy.

That's what I was thinking as well.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

I'm with @PsyGuy on this one.

You don't mention if it's a boarding school. If it is, that would be an immediate 'no' for me.

If it's not a boarding school, it would still be a 'no' for me, but I do know that some teachers who live on-campus at a non-boarding school sometimes actually quite like it. These are almost all young & single teachers though, who actually think it's a plus that their co-workers all live in the same building, so they can go drinking together and have the benefit of being able to wake up later and still be on time to teach.

The way you describe it makes me think that you would not be the kind of teacher who would enjoy it though. If you have other options or think you will have other options this recruiting season, I would pass on this opportunity.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I've got to agree with the general consensus that seems to be being formed.

I'm sure that there are some great school where you can live on campus and it's great - but you don't know until you are there. Here are some questions to ask:

(1) Is it a boarding school? If yes - then how will you segregate your personal life from work life? Is your apartment in the same building as the students?

(2) Do you have any limitations on what you can do in your apartment? For example - can you have family stay over? Can you have friends come over for a dinner . without being judged? Do you have to log in and log out when you leave school?

(3) What is the quality of the accommodation? And do you have to live on campus?

I've seen that some schools and countries use on-campus living as a way of controlling staff, both through who they interact with and what they can do. This is especially true in countries which may not be seen as "democratic", if you get my gist.

If it was one of the supposed highly paid Swiss boarding schools that I've heard about but have never actually met someone who has worked at - then I'd possible consider it.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Currently working at a school with on-campus housing. Overall it's great. Well-designed and built, no associated costs, fast maintenance, no requirement to hang out with others. No parents or students can access faculty housing. I know it can vary, but there are places that can make it work.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

If its a boarding situation its a hard Hades to the no.

There is a segment of that young IT group that sees living amongst themselves on campus as a social benefit, I didnt think that described the LW.

Yes there are ISs that make on campus living work, but you arent going to know if youre at one of them until youre there and if its not going to work its very likely to late to do anything about it.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Very true, We are a small family, that likes to keep our working and social life very much separate. Socializing with colleagues is very much something I don't do/ We keep our close friends close and enjoy spending time with them, but to live onsite and potentially dealing with colleagues outside of my work would do our heads in. Also, this would be hard on my partner and child not having the freedom. While I see the positives for some people, we just need that space for our mental well-being. Also, there is no outdoor living option (balcony), the only way to get this is to go downstairs to get outside. Would what would happen if Covid lockdown happened (does one need to be stuck in their apartment and not allowed to go outside??)

While staff have sold it and said....everyone is very private, but if you want to join for social activities you can blah blah, you just don't know how it will be until you are there, and if it doesn't work well you are stuck and that could have issues with family and wellbeing.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Spawnboy99

You dont say where your going (Im thinking China), but you could potentially contact a property agent and find an off campus residence with what ever criteria you want, you would just have to pay the coin for it out of pocket. So how good is the salary and the opportunity compared to the rental market in that region? It may be something that isnt that big of a burden for you compared to the value of the opportunity (whatever that is).
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

@ PsyGuy. if the salary was strong, that is something we would have considered, but it's a strong opportunity for career development hence the pickle. So have to make a list of the pro vs the cons. Thanks for your input.
milesaway

Post by milesaway »

I have worked at both boarding and day schools. Neither have really allowed the 100 % privacy that I craved within the community, in each case I was often judged by my participation in social events outside of school or non-contractual events. I have found that as I have gotten older this has changed and because I am a single male my involvement with such things has not been expected and the criticism of others has decreased.
You have stated that it is a good salary and will provide you with the needed career developments you desire...but to you that comes at a cost of having to live on campus. You have been told by other faculty members that the apartments are nice and that the need for privacy is met.
The chances of you attaining all of three of these criteria...good salary, privacy and career development are becoming less and less in the IS community.
What I have done in the past is really set boundaries. Accept that gossip will be in the community, accept that judgements from others will be given and accept that you will need to maintain some relationship with those living in the building whether you like them or not.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@milesaway

Its not a good salary though, the LW wrote "IF the salary was strong" [emphasis added]. So its: on campus living, and not great coin. The only plus side seems to be the professional opportunity against a number of substantially significant negatives. It would have to be breaking through the wall from classroom IT to leadership to make those sacrifices worth considering.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

The only thing it's giving me is an opportunity to work in a curriculum that I haven't really worked in. Also, the Leadership opportunity is in my skill set and passion, nothing I haven't had experience in before. But would be good to get back on the horse. I have applied for a number of leadership roles within my experience.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Spawnboy99

I take it its a two year contract. Is the rest of the OSH package (flights, health insurance, etc.) a family package or just you?
So since the package seems more structured like a faculty role, this leads me to think its a junior leadership role something along coordinator or HOD (subject/grade leader), but you already have that experience. Based on your other posts the region also has some concerns and issues for you as well, its not really a region you want to go. So its really: unexciting coin, campus living (and the campus living is with a family not just yourself), and a region you dont really want to go, all to get into a curriculum you havent experience with. Thats an awful lot of negatives, sacrifices, and trials and tribulations for the modest benefit of experience with a curriculum.
milesaway

Post by milesaway »

Sorry, I misread that salary part. I also assumed it was for a teaching position...I made a lot of mistakes in my first reply. If this is for a leadership position, whether it be mid or senior, I would pass. When I moved from teaching to leadership, I learned the hard way that living on campus with people you are in charge of becomes very difficult. Even for HOD or mid level, some teachers cannot separate work from real life, in fact that can be down right mean. I have lived through this myself as an observer and a target.
The more you explain your situation, the more I would encourage you to pass on this position.