(i)PGCE Revisited

evilharo

(i)PGCE Revisited

Post by evilharo »

There has already been a lot of discussions about the pros and cons of iPGCE (or PGCEi) programs. The two biggest cons are that (1) they do not automatically lead to QTS and (2) they are not seen as equivalent to UK domestic PGCE programs. There is also a great variety of programs; some are cheap and purely academic. Some have a practical component where you are even required to have a mentor at your current school. These latter programs seem to have a better standing among the international school community. So my question is: what are some of the better practice-based iPGCE programs that have good standings among international schools? Programs that might be seen as equivalent to a domestic UK PGCE program. Programs that might even have special recognition in certain regions. (Again, I know they don't lead to QTS). And what are your experiences with them?

- Obviously, Sunderland's PGCE DL program is one of the more well-established one. An important pro is that the certificate states "PGCE" instead of "iPGCE". (So does that mean it can be seen as equivalent to a domestic PGCE?). Also, it seems to lead to "registered teacher" status in Hong Kong.
- Univeristy of Buckingham also has an online PGCE. They also explicitly state that you graduate with a PGCE and not iPGCE. I haven't heard much about this program, so if anyone has some more info I would like to hear about it. It is also relatively cheap for a practice-based program: gbp 4300
- TES' iPGCE program. Another relatively cheap practice-based program: gbp 4200. It has been here for a few years but I haven't read any experiences from graduates. They are in the process of getting their program accredited in Hong Kong, but it is unclear when that is finished.
- Warwick iPGCE is also practice-based, but I don't know what its pros are. It is as expensive as Sunderland's but isn't as useful; the certificate states iPGCE and you can't use it to get registered teacher status in HK or other regions. Only pro is that the uni is highly ranked.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Those are just names. PGCEi, Academic PGCE, etc. They are just names conjured by Unis. The PGCEi was going to provide a stepping stone out of ESOL for ETs into IE. It did that but instead of being hailed as a success it was soon seen as inferior to a credential like QTS, because it is. Unis gambled that in IE higher academics and advanced degrees would be more an advantage in IE than a government credential for teaching the masses of DE, they were wrong.

A PGCEi doesnt lead to QTS, not automatically and not by any protracted process. Its an academic qualification without the EPP/ITT program as part of a credential. A PGCEi could be part of a portfolio for AO, you could potentially use it as part of a process to get a US credential (such as the CT route, etc.) and then attempt to standardize it and get the TCL/TRA to issue QTS based on the US credential. There isnt a process of doing anything directly with a PGCEi that equals QTS, not now at least.

PGCEi program arent seen as equivalent to PGCE programs that lead to QTS because they arent, the domestic attribute isnt the issue. You send an IS your PGCE certificate and either they dont care about QTS or they do and not having QTS usually means the end of that conversation. HOSs even BSs just dont care all that much about the variations between PGCEi programs. Theres already a signal (QTS) that indicates an applicant is qualified, the ones that have larger pools of applicants without QTS and care less about QTS see the different PGCEi as more or less equivalent. If its not a global ivy (there are no OxBridge PGCEi programs currently) it doesnt matter. Look at Nottingham often seen as a 'blegh' PGCEi program, its one of the most successful programs because it was one of the first programs and there are a lot of ITs in IE making their way through classrooms and into leadership based on a Nottingham PGCEi. Youre more likely to find a leader in a position to hire you with a PGCEi from Nottingham than any other Uni PGCEi or academic PGCE or non-QTS PGCE. The differences beyond that are just perceptions and ego. That dynamic is only a real dynamic that matters if the applicant the IS is looking at has a Masters from Oxford but no QTS, thats a real balancing and weighing of value. A Buckingham, Warwick, Nottingham, etc. difference in utility or marketability isnt a real difference.

They are all pretty much the same. They have to be, no one wants their Uni program to be singled out as too different from the others because then that difference might be evaluated as inferior. They all have the same base as well, they built their PGCEi programs from their PGCE curriculum and made some minor adjustments, they are still focused around the trinity of meds/peds/asst.

So its well established, Nottinghams program is well established. Water is also wet.
That is not an important distinction.
Being accepted, if it is accepted for RT status in HK is valuabel, theres utility there. It lets you use the academic qualification to get a credential without an EPP/ITT program. You could potentially use the RT credential from HK to get a US IL credential and then use that to get QTS. Thats three agencies that have to all go your way, but they might go your way. You cant use QTS from AO to get RT and you cant use RT to get QTs, but in that particular order it could work.

Its just a name , and they are also very specific to state its a PGCE "for Independent DSs and Academies" there may as well be an "i" at the end of the PGCE for independent its still an academic PGCEi with some field work it doesnt lead to QTS. They are just dropping the "i" to make the program look and sound better than what it is.

The name doesnt make it less useful. Youre not fooling anyone, a PGCEi and PGCE without QTS are the same. The difference in value between Warwick and Sunderland is potentially being able to get the HK RT credential. Thats the value.
Its not a Global Ivy, thats the only designation ranking that really matters. Leaders and recruiters arent going to be salivating over Buckingham, Nottingham, Warwick, Sunderland, etc.

TES is a fine program but for the same coin you can get a certificate with a Uni attached to it. The only benefit to the TES program is if youre going to go into TESs AO program.

If you want something that matters do the Sunderland PGCEi that may likely get you the HK RT credential. Absent that do the MSc in Teacher Education from Oxford, its mostly DL except for a couple summer trips even though it costs three times the PGCEi programs, its going to have a lot more utility and value and will get you a more coin on an ISs salary scale. If your still primarily considering the other PGCEi programs which ever one works best for your learning style, cost, etc. There isnt a real difference between them in quality thats worth any actual value.
booboo14

Re: (i)PGCE Revisited

Post by booboo14 »

Dear PSY,

With regards to: "Absent that do the MSc in Teacher Education from Oxford, its mostly DL except for a couple summer trips even though it costs three times the PGCEi programs, its going to have a lot more utility and value and will get you a more coin on an ISs salary scale."

Is there any online teaching degree that leads to certification or QTS? My wife just finished an undergraduate degree but has taught as a trailing spouse for several years and would like to teach but get paid more than a local salary.

I looked into TeachNow and it isn't accepted in our home country if we choose to return.

Thanks
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@booboo14

Not really, not the way you're thinking of it. You have to piece programs together more or less. You can do the PGCEi program above from Sunderland and then apply for the HK RT credential. You could then use that to apply for a US credential then use that to apply for QTS and it might work.
You could use the PGCEi and your spouses current teaching position to obtain QTS through the AO pathway. There might be a UK option if iQTS goes the way the Dfe wants. Parliament hasnt made the required regulatory change to allow iQTS to transition to QTS. You could do the Sunderland PGCEi and iQTS program and use that to apply for HK RT status and potentially use the iQTS to get QTS though you will be an ECT (NQT) and have to do Induction. Either option would allow you to apply the PGCEi to one of Sunderlands Masters programs.
booboo14

Re: (i)PGCE Revisited

Post by booboo14 »

Thanks. We may just take a year off and do it the old way in Canada. Then at least she's qualified to teach back home.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@booboo14

Generally (BC at least) will accept qualifications earned OS. My typical guidance would be looking at whats available locally from whatever the regional Uni is and if they have an appropriate language delivered program that includes a qualification and a credential.