Asking for reviews to be removed

angelica1981

Re: Asking for reviews to be removed

Post by angelica1981 »

gotthetshirt wrote:
> Having access to a review because it is written on a school computer is far
> different than being the author. How do we know this is really the author
> and not just some school admin tasked with monitoring teachers computers?
> The bottom line is he should have read and headed the the big red letters
> that say your submission is an irreversible action. This person needs to
> take responsibility for their actions.

That's a weird assumption. I highly doubt he wrote it on a school computer. I don't know anybody foolish enough to do that. Plus, he said he wrote it at night, which to me implies at home, using his own device.

I hope ISR at least answers his email.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Thats certainly your opinion, its not a universal one. If publishing the post is so detrimental to the author, why did the author write it and push the submit button in the first place. What did they think was going to happen?
ISR doesnt edit for content, they edit for brevity, abuse, etc. Its a fine line that any editor walks.

@gotthetshirt

Can concur that this has happened before. Its why the whole member section exists for review and evaluation posts. I would not doubt at all if the original posts in the public forum were planted by leadership.

@angelica1981

It depends on the IS computer used, an ITs personally assigned laptop for example, thats a bad move but a computer that doesnt require a login in a IT work room, library or computer lab, that could be safer than at home.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> Thats certainly your opinion, its not a universal one. If publishing the
> post is so detrimental to the author, why did the author write it and push
> the submit button in the first place. What did they think was going to
> happen?
> ISR doesnt edit for content, they edit for brevity, abuse, etc. Its a fine
> line that any editor walks.

Very few opinions, if any, are universal.

Well, the author can realize after the fact that he included some details which, when combined, could reveal their identity. They likely didn't mean to reveal their identity. It's a mistake yes, but everyone, including you and I, makes mistakes. It's not unreasonable to ask to have those details changed or removed, and the review would still be just as helpful. A mistake like that shouldn't cost someone their livelihood. But yes, that's just my opinion.

What they edit for exactly is anyone's guess, although I've seen plenty of reviews where a bit of editing for brevity or abuse would have been warranted. In my case the two paragraphs that were missing in the published review were very much 'content'. But neither of us is part of the ISR team, so we'll never know exactly what they edit and why.
angelica1981

Post by angelica1981 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> Thats certainly your opinion, its not a universal one. If publishing the
> post is so detrimental to the author, why did the author write it and push
> the submit button in the first place. What did they think was going to
> happen?
> ISR doesnt edit for content, they edit for brevity, abuse, etc. Its a fine
> line that any editor walks.
>
> @gotthetshirt
>
> Can concur that this has happened before. Its why the whole member section
> exists for review and evaluation posts. I would not doubt at all if the
> original posts in the public forum were planted by leadership.
>
> @angelica1981
>
> It depends on the IS computer used, an ITs personally assigned laptop for
> example, thats a bad move but a computer that doesnt require a login in a
> IT work room, library or computer lab, that could be safer than at home.

PsyGuy, no computer-literate person in 2021 would be stupid enough to post from their school-issued laptop, so this is a non-issue. It is kind of insulting to the poster to insinuate that he might have done that. I am sure he didn't post to ISR from a school-issued laptop. I don't know any teacher who is that computer illiterate in 2021.
angelica1981

Re: Asking for reviews to be removed

Post by angelica1981 »

Any updates, YankeeFromNYC?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

And ITs are responsible, liable, and accountable for their mistakes. How does it go "lack of planning on your part doesnt necessitate an emergency on my part"?

@angelica1981

We know different ITs. I know ITs and leaders that are that computer illiterate. Ive seen ITs think that turning their computer off and then on removes cache files for example. Given there are software programs that do that it is still not a common feature in most modern OSs. I have seen ITs think that email sent through cloud based providers such as MS, Google, etc. are untraceable.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> And ITs are responsible, liable, and accountable for their mistakes. How
> does it go "lack of planning on your part doesnt necessitate an
> emergency on my part"?

I'm not saying they're not responsible, but everyone maken mistakes, and this one can easily be corrected by ISR by cutting the bit of the review that reveals the autor's identity. So while they don't have to, it would be the decent thing to do.

If I'm taking a test and the person next to has pen that's out of ink and they've made the mistake of not bringing an extra pen, I'm going to give them one of my spare pens, even though I don't have to. It's a small effort, and it's not a mistake that should cost him the test.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

And Im stating mistakes have consequences. The decent thing to do would have been to save hitting the submit button for a couple of days of reflection, instead of imposing on somebody elses time and efforts.

In your situation as you described if the person next to me first threw their pen across the room in frustration, much like hitting the submit button when your upset, I would not loan them or give them one of my extra pens.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> And Im stating mistakes have consequences.

Well, in this the mistake doesn't need to have consequences if someone would make the small effort of removing a bit of text and save someone from potentially losing their job.

> The decent thing to do would
> have been to save hitting the submit button for a couple of days of
> reflection, instead of imposing on somebody elses time and efforts.

Yep, it was a mistake, I think the OP is well aware of this already. Being in a fit of anger is obviously not when make the best choices.

> In your situation as you described if the person next to me first threw
> their pen across the room in frustration, much like hitting the submit
> button when your upset, I would not loan them or give them one of my extra
> pens.

Well, I would.
And it might very well be that their frustration is warranted, which would make throwing the pen easier to understand. We all get frustrated sometimes, but losing a job as a result seems harsh.

But hey, obviously this is something people will think differently about. As is clear by this exchange.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Mistakes NEED to have consequences thats how we learn from experience.

How is anger against an inanimate object warranted? Especially when done in front and in full display of others. It just shows your unable to deal with anger and frustration constructively.

We disagree.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> Mistakes NEED to have consequences thats how we learn from experience.

You can also learn plenty without consequences. I did some of my best learning when I dodged a bullet.
Anyway, losing your job seems too severe a consequence for such a mistake.

> How is anger against an inanimate object warranted? Especially when done in
> front and in full display of others. It just shows your unable to deal with
> anger and frustration constructively.

Better against an inanimate object than against a person. And it's just a metaphor. In the OP's case, he didn't hurt anyone. He just clicked a button.

> We disagree.

Yep.