It's raining jobs in SE Asia.

fine dude

It's raining jobs in SE Asia.

Post by fine dude »

SE Asia, one of the competitive regions for ITs, has a significant number of teacher vacancies for the next school year. Two sought-after schools in BKK alone have a combined total of 46 faculty opportunities. Wondering how many of these are pandemic-related. How many schools out there are lowering the pay due to weaker enrolment and merging teaching responsibilities to save on costs?
Spawnboy99

Re: It's raining jobs in SE Asia.

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Good question, my understanding as I'm wanting to get back into SEA according to most of the comments I've read for Vietnam and Thailand (top tier) schools is mostly due to Covid. I was reading that one teacher made the comment that he is based in Vietnam and only a few days ago was the first time he was allowed out of his apartment since May. Most teachers seem to have stuck with it for that year due to uncertainty, but now a year on have decided it's too much and looking at leaving, especially those with families. The lower tier schools I would think both factors are to be considered, they are over the pandemic and could also be lowering of pay etc due to student enrollment.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Any chance of this happening in Japan too??? I've never even sniffed an interview for a top school there.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Get on Schrole, I'd say. There are vacancies at top-tier schools in Tokyo and Singapore, too. It's gonna be a crazy recruiting season this year.
Smokegreynblues

Post by Smokegreynblues »

fine dude wrote:
> SE Asia, one of the competitive regions for ITs, has a significant number
> of teacher vacancies for the next school year. Two sought-after schools in
> BKK alone have a combined total of 46 faculty opportunities. Wondering how
> many of these are pandemic-related. How many schools out there are lowering
> the pay due to weaker enrolment and merging teaching responsibilities to
> save on costs?
There is more to it than meets the eyes. 10-20 percent of staff turnover in a single year. There are some major shifts going on. I would glue my eyes on the review section of this website. To see what exactly is going on.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Competitive compared to where? The EU, no, the ME maybe depends what youre comparing. Within SE Asia, maybe depends what your comparing, one of the little tigers, yes, China Myanmar, Vietnam, no.

Its mostly pandemic related, specifically mobility and remote learning. In the US/UK you can actually leave, vaccination rates are good and parent ITs kids get to go to DSs in person.

Its going to be a good year after peak recruiting for ITs.
Cafare52

Post by Cafare52 »

I was in Vietnam for years and talk regularly with my former colleagues and softball mates. New staff basically arrived and haven't been able to leave their apartments until last week. It's been miserable and, yes enrollments are falling at ALL schools. Whereas, a year ago the US was one of the worst places in the world to be now it is one of the best and a lot of international business folk and embassy staff are back home waiting it out.

Friends in Bangkok were in the same boat with a little more freedom. Long workdays and high expectations teaching online. WHAT?!?! Sounds horrible. One of the major things that has kept me in my current position is we have been able to resist going online outside of two months when the COVID originally struck and live normal lives with facemasks and vaccines (fingers crossed).

The whole point of teaching internationally, or a good part of it is traveling and enjoying yourself. I don't care how good a school's reputation 'has been', you are taking a big risk leaving a good situation this cycle, even if where you think where you are going is a tier above.

And 'developing' countries like most of SE Asia, might not be the best places to go during a world health crisis.
National

Post by National »

To further add to Cafare52’s post about why there are so many jobs in Vietnam:

Vietnam is erratic and extreme in how it responds to COVID outbreaks. They lockdown entire cities, close airports, stop all domestic movement (meaning people get stranded away from home), and quarantine people with little to no notice. Your visa is cancelled if you leave the country and your school has to reapply before you can return. We had a brutal 3+ month total, military enforced lockdown here in Ho Chi Minh City that we are just coming out of. It was one of the worlds strictest that I know of and it was miserable and stressful to live through. No leaving your apartment not even for groceries or to walk a dog. Things are starting to slowly normalise now. The biggest problem is that there is no predicting what future actions the government will take in response to new covid situations.

Many schools are limiting travel for staff, some both domestically and internationally.
National

Post by National »

Double
Last edited by National on Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jschott

Post by jschott »

fine dude wrote:
> SE Asia, one of the competitive regions for ITs, has a significant number
> of teacher vacancies for the next school year. Two sought-after schools in
> BKK alone have a combined total of 46 faculty opportunities. Wondering how
> many of these are pandemic-related. How many schools out there are lowering
> the pay due to weaker enrolment and merging teaching responsibilities to
> save on costs?

Well, teaching is one of the last professions I'd want to be a part of during a pandemic, and plenty of places/schools have had ample opportunity now to demonstrate just how much or how little they care about the health of their staff.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

I think it's important to differentiate how schools respond and how countries/governments do.

Schools have to follow the local laws and mandates and I know that there can be a tension between this and the way that lots of schools want to care for their community.