How long is your commute?

EyEyEy

How long is your commute?

Post by EyEyEy »

Moving this Summer and exploring where to live in my new city.
What commute do you find acceptable and does that change the longer you live somewhere?

I can take over a friend's lease there but it would be a 45 minute commute which I think I will be ok with but maybe after doing that for a year I might think differently. I really don't like moving house so I would rather pick a place now where I can stay for many years.
sid

Re: How long is your commute?

Post by sid »

45 minutes is way too long for me. I had 30-45 minutes in several countries, and I won't do it again.
My best commute was 3 minutes on foot. Currently at 8 minutes by car and happy with that.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

45 minutes would barely be acceptable if it was to get there & back, definitely not if it's 45 minutes one way.
The first weeks any commute will be more interesting because there are new things to see, but any route becomes boring quite quickly if you take it every day.
If you're really into podcasts it might be less of pain, but even then I'd look for a place much closer to your school because personally I prefer to listen to them doing household chores or something else productive.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

25 minutes in the morning and 35 in the afternoon, am tired of the commute and just figured that I spend roughly 8 entire days/school year sitting in the bus.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Last month I moved to a house closer to my school because I don't want to waste time commuting.
Verano

Post by Verano »

I think it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for and where your school is. I used to live across from work, and it was fantastic especially because I had a sick dog. I lived 15minute walking distance from the city center. I also lived 5-8 minute drive from work and lived by beautiful lakes. However, I have also been to and worked at locations that are extremely remote - such as walking through the rice fields. This school year, I decided to commute for over an hour to live in the center of the city. Although it is not ideal during the week, I can take advantage of the city to the fullest during the weekend and holidays and love it, especially during the pandemic. I think I will be miserable out in the boonies by school.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

33 minutes by trams - very reliable trams (3 times a week)
33-36 minute run (twice a week)
20 minute cycle (rarely/never)

I enjoy the commute on the trams as I can listen to podcasts.
muinteoir

Post by muinteoir »

Mine is 40 mins by bike. Yes, it's a time suck, but I'm fresh when I get to school, decompress on the journey home, and get a bit of exercise in along the way. I don't mind it, but it really does add up.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

muinteoir wrote:
> Mine is 40 mins by bike. Yes, it's a time suck, but I'm fresh when I get to
> school, decompress on the journey home, and get a bit of exercise in along
> the way. I don't mind it, but it really does add up.

I once considered living somewhere 30-40 minutes away from school (a really nice house became available) and thought I could perhaps bike to school and back every day to get some exercise, but lots of rain made me reconsider.
muinteoir

Post by muinteoir »

Someone from my very rainy home country once advised me: "No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes!". I now live in an equally rainy country and make do with waterproof helmet cover, jacket and trousers :-) You get used to it!
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

15 minutes would be my max.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

This is such an interesting debate to see.

I'm currently in my home country, but when I was abroad I preferred to be within walking distance to where I work or 5-10 minutes by car/bike.

I now draw the line at 45 minutes by car. Up to an hour by transit. I like having the time to listen to a podcast.

However, a lot of people in my home country are comfortable with driving up to an hour and half to get to work. It's really strange to see this behaviour from the colleagues in my home country.
Unpredictablytrue

Post by Unpredictablytrue »

5 minutes on foot or I can take the school shuttle if I choose. That of course is when we are back to teaching in person. Right now it's a 10 second trip from my bedroom to my office for virtual.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

20 mins by taxi, 40 mins by metro (with a bit of walking.) I'd like to be closer because I do most of my work in school and by the time I get home I'm shattered.

Back in my home country, in my first year of teaching I had a 1hr drive to and from school (100 mile round trip). In some ways, I actually preferred that - it meant I had to be organised and gave me time to decompress on the journey home.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Do not settle for a house that far away just because it is offered to you on a silver platter.
If you do some digging you could find a house just as nice a lot closer. Putting in some extra work will pay off.