MYP to IGCSE Without Year 10

twoteachers

MYP to IGCSE Without Year 10

Post by twoteachers »

My family is in a quandary....we may be losing our jobs due to budget cuts. Our son is very happy where we are, and he's a Year 10 MYP student. If we have to leave and are forced into a situation where the only option is starting IGCSE as a Year 11...is it possible? Or was his coursework in Year 10 MYP completely not adequate?
sid

Re: MYP to IGCSE Without Year 10

Post by sid »

It’s more a question of alignment than adequacy. Which MYP subjects, which GCSE courses? How adaptable is your son, and how much would the new school work with you to make it work?
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

It's possible - but it would be tough. Sid is right, it's about how the coursework aligns to the IGCSE course, but also the order in which units are taught.

If your son could cope with it, it might be that Y11 has to be seen more as a year to get him up to speed so he's ready for IB (or A level). This might mean not taking a full suite of IGCSEs but focusing on, say, English and Maths. If not, then it would be worth considering the possibility of putting him in Y10 in his new school so he gets the full run at an IGCSE course (the benefit of this might be that he finds some of it is effectively 'revision' - although equally a teenager can easily see this as boring!)
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

I thought of repeating it, but he's very bright and already getting high marks in Maths/Sciences so I think that would be a killer for him. I like the idea of not doing the whole suite.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

[quote=twoteachers post_id=60683 time=1611825027 user_id=195723]but he's very bright and already getting high marks in Maths/Sciences[/quote]

If this is the case and your current school has a strong MYP programme, then it should be fine. Anyway, I think you have to roll with it if other factors make it the right move for your family.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Im going to go further than the prior contributors and say, its not even an issue of alignment between MYP and IGCSE or A*, its really whatever the new IS determines. They will probably put your child in year 11 in whatever the most appropriate pathway they have available that might mean getting whatever the ISs house diploma is or it may be A*, etc.