Question regarding school inquiry about medical history

Literature

Question regarding school inquiry about medical history

Post by Literature »

Is it a normal practice for the schools to ask about your medical history for major disease and attendance record during the application? There was one school asked to fill a form claiming for child production purpose, but I don’t understand why they want or should know inquiry about once previous disease if no longer current. Any experience sharing/ advice on that? Thanks.
sciteach

Re: Question regarding school inquiry about medical history

Post by sciteach »

I've answered the questions you have been asked on numerous occasions. If the questions are legal and ethical - that really depends on the country which it is occurring. I do see that some schools don't want to employ people who take a lot of time off - but I also see the privacy element as well.

I'm sure that others will have more to say on the topic than I.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Questions about medical issues may be because the school is located in a country with poor/zero medical care or a lack of care options for certain conditions. I would not be put off about that.

However, asking for an attendance record would be a red flag for me. This just screams "we won't treat you like a professional" and micromanagement hell. Is this school going to make you scan in with fingerprints on entry & exit too? No thanks...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its common for an IS to ask a general question of basic form indicating your level of health, which you can complete with a statement or response such as no notable health issues. Some ISs are in regions with very limited health care and facilities too which they may have a more extensive health form.

Attendance is another issue entirely, its more common in BSs but I concur with @buffalofan that it would be a major warning indicator.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

For attendance, if it is a red flag, it will often be put in your confidential reference. If it is for a legitimate purpose (surgery and recuperation was needed) then it won't even be mentioned.