Any thoughts on the Search Fair coming up?

booboo14

Any thoughts on the Search Fair coming up?

Post by booboo14 »

Slim pickings? Maybe recruiters have the same opinion? Just seems contrived to me. I have already applied to the attending schools that interest me so not expecting much but who knows.
Zebra750

Re: Any thoughts on the Search Fair coming up?

Post by Zebra750 »

I've got a mind to attend. Although my associate told me that there will be over 1000 candidates. So I imagine that the schools will be flooded with applicants.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its going to be wholly frustrating and ultimately underwhelming. Its going to functionally look like a pre-millinium middle school dance with boys (recruiters) on one side of a tiredly decorated sports hall and the girls (ITs) milling about on the other side. Little of any note is going to happen. Associates are really nudging recruiters to make some offers, so that its not an absolute waste to everyone.
booboo14

Post by booboo14 »

I am afraid you're right. Just got a rejection notice from one of my middle picks so most probably I wont even bother sending out an interview request. I don't need to be rejected by every school twice.
wander

Post by wander »

There seems to be much more hiring happening outside of the fairs this year, based on what I've seen. I know my school basically wrapped it all up in November. Since everything is virtual anyway, there really is no reason to wait and conduct interviews at the fair.
DaZhu

Post by DaZhu »

Having attended the fair, I don't see the difference between NOT going to the 'fair' or just doing your normal SA searches.

All of the schools are just part of the regular searches, soo.....I don't get it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@DaZhu

Fairs have in general allowed F2F interviews of a comparatively large number of leaders and ITs. Your trading a certain amount of chaos for intimacy. Thats the problem absent that F2F interaction its all the chaos and none of the intimacy.
DaZhu

Post by DaZhu »

@PsyGuy

I've never even been to a F2F fair, hopefully soon, but SA said they will have zero face to face this year,---so this SA one was actually my first job fair of any kind.

Yeah, you're right, all the benefits of F2F is gone (character is out of the equation) and decisions are entirely based on the CV. This might be preferable for those who aren't good in face to face interactions, but not for the rest.

Still, I don't understand how this SA 'fair' is any different than any day of the week applying for a school--they're all the same schools that are available before and after the fair, and all the positions that are available during the fair are also posted before the fair on their web sites directly. Am I missing something?

Hoping I can go to a normal fair after stupid COVID becomes less of a concern!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@DaZhu

Timing, basically timing. An IS posts a job, they get a few the first day, a push over the next couple days and then tricking in over time after that, that gets less and less. Thats why you find some advertisements that state a position closing date thats X weeks in the future. Then over that time you have to screen and select, and maybe by the time you get to the short list, Y and Z candidates are no longer available. Even with a virtual fair everyone thee is assumed to be available and it happens in the now. The chat room gets slammed with candidates shoving their virtual resumes on the screen, and up-talking themselves in bursts hoping to get noticed before the text scrolls off the window. Its a certain type of chaos that is to the advantage of the recruiters and leaders.