Smaller schools with nature and great community for NQT

MissNTer

Smaller schools with nature and great community for NQT

Post by MissNTer »

Hi all!

I am an NQT with 1 year of full-time teaching experience. Looking for an MFL position.
As I'm not from the UK, I do not plan to go back there, so I don't mind NOT doing my induction year.
I'm considering British curriculum, American, IB (I know it's harder to get into) and alternative schools (Steiner etc).

I'm looking for international schools that would be:
- Smaller/rural, or just not in a very big city (could be on outskirts of a city)
- Ideally set in a beautiful place with nature
- Strong on ethos of whole child, as well as community service and/or environment
- With a lovely vibe

I might be too demanding, but if there's a surf spot or hiking trails or a jungle nearby, it's paradise!

I don't mind the package too much, as long as the school, people and place are lovely.

Thanks for any advice!
sciteach

Re: Smaller schools with nature and great community for NQT

Post by sciteach »

To be honest - it's better to get a minimum of 2 years experience before you apply for international schools. For most - this is the expectation and it's also needed often for visas.

International schools tend to be near population centres - so there are few schools in smaller towns or out in nature. Those that come to mind are some in Switzerland and Jeju Island. We are also not allowed to mention specific schools in the general forum as well.

In general - a bad international school is much worse than a bad school in our home country due to the language barrier and lack of common language. Having such a bad experience at the start of your teaching career can be pretty difficult.
MissNTer

Post by MissNTer »

Thanks for the insight!

I know it's better to get 2 years of experience, but I heard some countries/schools are more flexible on that. I'll look into places in Switzerland and Jeju Island, thank you!

I'm a career changer who has worked internationally previously, so for me the challenge was working in an all-British environment in a UK school (where I was told "maybe you don't understand English"...) :D
russ125

Post by russ125 »

I don't want to sound negative, but with your amount of experience you can't really be too picky in terms of location. I'm talking from experience, because I tried to do the same as you, but couldn't get an interview. To be fair, I'm not an MFL teacher so it could be different for you.
MissNTer

Post by MissNTer »

Thanks for your reply! Yes, of course, I understand, but I know lots of people who got a position abroad as NQT, hence I try to be optimistic. I also don't want to sound negative, but if I see I won't manage getting a job abroad (I have a few interviews lined up), then I probably will continue teaching online and working in the broader edu sector, but won't work in UK schools.
russ125

Post by russ125 »

MissNTer wrote:
> Thanks for your reply! Yes, of course, I understand, but I know lots of
> people who got a position abroad as NQT, hence I try to be optimistic. I
> also don't want to sound negative, but if I see I won't manage getting a
> job abroad (I have a few interviews lined up), then I probably will
> continue teaching online and working in the broader edu sector, but won't
> work in UK schools.

Well done for getting the interviews, you have already done better than I did when I was in your position! Sounds like I was being too negative after all.
MissNTer

Post by MissNTer »

Thank you and good luck in your career!
unsure

Post by unsure »

I know plenty of folk that work in international schools, and many of them don't even have a real PGCE, let alone the NQT year. I really wouldn't worry about it.

The Green School in Bali sounds like a great fit for you - although you might have to apply as an EAL teacher or something as I don't think that they teach MFL. I've also heard of some interesting schools in India that sound like a good fit for you.

Anyway - good luck. It sounds as though you're about to embark on a great adventure !
MissNTer

Post by MissNTer »

Thanks so much, that is inspiring!

Oh yes, the Green School in Bali is my dream school, but they require 5+ years of experience due to visa restrictions. However, I think they're opening a new school in Tulum and they have some vacancies in South Africa at the Green School, so let's see :)
I'll be looking into India too, for sure, thank you!

Good luck to you too!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

I disagree that you can't find something. You just have to go beyond the big agencies and not look at tiers. Or you could look at off the beaten track places. Ulaanbaatar or Dushanbe or Lusaka come to mind, for example. But there are tons of small schools in Europe, for example, many of which are boarding schools, that are not in the big cities of a country (though I would not call Dushanbe a big city). So maybe look at boarding schools?

Many of these won't require tons of experience, though it varies wildly. I would also get a paid subscription here. Often schools that are a bit harder to find are reviewed on here, so you can get names of schools that way. You can also get information on the quality of those schools.

If location and atmosphere are your big qualifiers, I would steer clear of the big agencies or major ISs and focus instead on things like parent or expat forums, for example, or just lots of googling areas that look interesting.

I am confident you can find something.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

There is a much bigger off circuit venue of ISs than ISs that are on the circuit.
MissNTer

Post by MissNTer »

Thank you so much @Thames Pirate and @PsyGuy, it's really helpful!

I actually found a job in a boarding school in India for 2021. Let's see how that goes!! I'll definitely be spending time looking out for interesting schools and spots for the next destination!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Congratulations on your job! Best wishes.