Hong Kong accommodation for family

Saxon08

Hong Kong accommodation for family

Post by Saxon08 »

Hi,

Looking for some advice. I’m looking at working at a school on Hong Kong Island and want some advice on where to live. I have looked at accommodation on the island and it’s best described as a box.

Where are the areas that expats live that allow you to get a bit more for your money. I’m happy to commute if it allows me to afford something bigger, ideally looking at a 2/3 bed.

Thanks,
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

::HaHa::

An expat enclave where you get more for your coin in HK, that doesnt exist, if theres anything that caters to expats it goes up not down in coin. Can you commute from mainland PRC such as (Shenzhen not the bargain it used to be) or GZ. Thats how you get more space for your coin living among expats in HK.
Psychometrika

Re: Hong Kong accommodation for family

Post by Psychometrika »

Tin Shui Wai? Outside of places that are mostly public housing or remote fishing towns there is nothing that approaches affordable in HK. There definitely are no expat enclaves that are not crazy expensive.

These days the HK side near the border is cheaper than Shekou/Futian, and there is no way you want to deal with border control every single day anyway.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Psychometrika

Where in Tin Shui Wai is there a 2-3LDK in an expat friendly 'anything' thats reasonable coin?
The LW stated they were willing to commute and while I wouldnt want to deal with border control either, thats the only way theyre going to get something in that size in an expat area, thats reasonable coin.
Heliotrope

Re: Hong Kong accommodation for family

Post by Heliotrope »

Yes, Tin Shui Wai is cheaper than average, but that'll be an absurd commute though if you work on Hong Kong Island.

Just have a look here for some prices:
https://www.navigatehk.com/home/2020/4/ ... -hong-kong
These might not be the prices you'll end up paying, but at least you can somewhat compare areas.

Personally, I'd happily pay HK$3,000 a month more if it saves me more than an hour of commuting.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Cheaper does not mean affordable. Still not cheap or the size the LW wants your still looking at 200sqft, not a 2-3 LDK.
Heliotrope

Re: Discussion

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Cheaper does not mean affordable. Still not cheap or the size the LW wants
> your still looking at 200sqft, not a 2-3 LDK.

Whether or not it's affordable is up to the OP.
Given Hong Kong's real estate market, they might find it affordable given the context of living in Hong Kong and given their salary.
And there are definitely a 2/3 bed apartments in Tin Shui Wai and they will be a lot cheaper than 2/3 BR on Hong Kong Island.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Cheaper does not mean affordable.
We disagree.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

Since I'm of the opinion that the two of us can't decide for the OP whether or not it's affordable for them, then yes, we disagree.